Opinions please !

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all , and hope you are staying healthy in these worrying times . I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis 5 years ago after a bout of pneumonia . I had no idea i had this disease. Since, fortunately , i have only had 1 mild chest infection ( well , i think it was , but maybe it was a very mild coronavirus ) back in Jan.

In the UK , they are now saying if you are in High risk groups , you should stay indoors for 12 weeks .

We moved to a new area a year ago, unfortunately , my new GP practice has not been that proactive in getting me registered with the respiratory team locally , I used to get seen by a respiratory DR , once a year and had access to local community nurses should i have a problem. Fortunately , i never needed that service . Now though , I would like advice , I was told I had a very mild form of this disease , and I don't know whether , I should be staying in ?

My job, is airline crew , I'm not flying much currently for obvious reasons , and I am PRAYING that shortly , I won't be flying at all ....any advice please , and of course , would be very interested to hear from anyone in the same profession too ?

THANKS GUYS , and stay well !

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Bricklayer

Diagnosed about 7 years ago, I too was told that I have a mild form of bronchiectasis and, like you, I'm fortunate in that the condition hasn't affected my life too much. I've probably had a few more chest infections in the past 5 years than you however, and am plagued by a cough that comes and goes. I'm assuming that a diagnosis of bronchiectasis, even if mild, makes us more 'at risk' than most and so I've been perhaps more careful than some to avoid contact with people (ie. the 2 metre rule) over the last 10 days or so and to hand-wash repeatedly. Age will also affect where on the 'at risk' scale we appear as well (I'm 63). Basically I'm being as cautious as hell and, apart from a daily walk in the countryside away from others, I'm staying at home. Having any sort of respiratory condition, even if mild, surely makes us especially vulnerable should we catch Covid-19. I swear by turmeric (a natural anti-inflammatory) tea and turmeric tablets and am determined to enjoy the 'new normal' & the coming of Spring

as much as I can. Take care of yourself, all fellow bronchiectesis-ites out there, and wishing you well! Sally

• Edited

Did you test positive for COVID-19?

By the time i was diagnosed w/BX 3.5 years ago, i already had a moderate to severe case. I have some N-95 masks, which i use in public in every cold-flu season, and must also use them to help with pollens/mold.

Yes, if you have BX you are more susceptible. In those dead, widened spaces in your lungs, mucus & everything you inhale collects. There is no longer the natural ability to move stuff out of those areas. They are dark & moist, the perfect growing medium for everything bad. That is all a quote from my pulmonologist. Some but not all of us produce vast quantities of mucus & work hard to get it up & out, to lessen the petri dish effect.

Since your BX is mild, start now doing everything you can to maintain all the lung health/strength that you have now. Look up breathing exercises & do them.

Take care & good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.