Opinions whether to start or not.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all. Im a 28 year old female. Been suffering with GAD and Panic Disorder for almost 8 years. I finally decided to seek help last year since i went through hell with a divorce and a huge life change. I was put on zoloft last year and i gave it 4 months but it made things worse, i became more fearful and never wanted to go out or get off the couch. All i did was sleep. It was awful. After that o wasn't sure an ssri was the answer. Now 7 months later i am holding on by a thread and only using 2.5mg a day of diazapam sometimes 5mg if needed. But thats not actually helping me get through the anxiety and now ive become depressed. sad So my therapist has been asking me to reconcider trying a medication. Asked me to research and Celexa has been whats called my attention. When i started thr zoloft the first 2 weeks were HELL. I had panic attacks, stomach problems, pins and needles, felt like death. Slowly that all went away. So i am aware i might have to ride that Rollercoaster again with celexa. What i want to know is if its worth it in the long run? Some positive experiences would be lovely to read. Tips on how to start it off. How long to give it? I also had MAJOR derealization on zoloft and above all the feelings anxiety brings that feeling scares me the most. So is this something i may have to face again for a short time while the celexa takes effect? Please any advice or stories would help. Ty all so so so much.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I've been on citilopram now for just under 4 weeks for panic and anxiety. The first 3 weeks were hell, increased anxiety, no appetite, feeling sick, no sleep etc. However, the last few days I've been great. Hope it lasts.  I had diazepam to help me at my worst moments but not had  to take any for a few days now. I have been on cit before for post natal depression and did not have the side effects then so this was a bit of a surprise this time!!! 

I can only say give it a go, it may make you feel worse at first but probably no worse than you feel now. You may have no side effects at all which would be great!! 

There are a lot of people on these forums who will help you and who have been on cit for a while. 

Good luck and try to stay positive....hard I know, but you will get there xx

• Posted

I have been taking citalopram for quite a few years now and my doc wanted to decrease my dose from 40 mg to 20mg which I did. For the next couple of weeks I had the same feelings I had when I started on citalopram, increased anxiety, panic attacks, feeling nauseous, not sleeping and worst of all DEREALISATION. Which made me panic even more kept asking for reassurance that I would get better and I wasn't going mad. I stuck with it and am glad to say it was worth it because I feel normal again. PLEASE STICK WITH IT

• Posted

Absolutely worth it 100%.  It changed my life.  I'd been ill for 16 years, and within 6 months of taking meds I'd recovered and have stayed we'll ever since.

As Debbie says, the first few weeks can be hell and you've already experienced a rough ride on Zoloft.  It's just your body adjusting to the meds.  SSRI's are tough for many people, but stick with it, understand they're not an overnight fix, persevere on and through and you'll find yourself feeling lighter and happier.

You can only but try.  For me, they were a miracle.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies thus far. Even though I know the start will be hard, all the possitivity is making me feel great and like this may be the medication that will finally work. Im actually excited about it. If anyone else wants to share their experiences please feel free to share. Ty
  • Posted

Hello??, I'm nearly 19 and I've been put on citalopram 20mg I stuffer with anxiety and I lost two family members earlier this year which is why my anxiety got worse I'm guessing I feel somewhat panicked because of how young I am. I've started taking the meds today my somatch feels very unsettled I have no appetite and I'm struggling to keep drinking fluids as it's making me feel more sick anyone got some advice how to get through the first few weeks with the side affects.

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi. How long have you been on cit? I am just into 4 weeks. The first 3 were incredibly difficult with increased anxiety, no appetite whatsoever, feeling sick, no sleep. My appetite and sickness got better about a week ago, I could just about eat in the evenings. Since then it's got better and better, including the anxiety and sleep issues.  Still a way to go but feel so much better thank god! I'm very slim and really couldn't afford to lose any weight but could not eat anything. It will get better, just hang in there. You could try some anti sickness tablets but obviously check with your doc about that xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.