Opioid constipation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Back when I was in the hospital, I was given narcotics like crazy (specifically hydrocodone). I ended up not eating for 10 days and not drinking very much (not that those things correlate to the drug). Basically after me doing this, I became so constipated they gave me a enema and It was so paibful i basically cried haha. So my question is will taking oxycodone(10mg) for my pain one at say 12pm and one at 9pm, cause me iriversiable painful constipation?

Thanks people!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dinik

Personally I would say yes you will suffer from constipation, but if you drink plenty of fluids and take senna ( I take 2 at night ) I’m fine the next day, if the senna doesn’t work then ask your Dr to give you movicol. Both just soften things up and cause you one less pain.

Regards

Buggsy 

• Posted

So I know exactly what you are talking about, EVERYTHING I am about to tell you I HAVE TRIED MYSELF, Be sure to check w/your doctor about ANY meds & if it is SAFE to try these options(there are a few conditions where some of these are contraindicated)..there are two issues w/ Opioid Induced Constipation(OIC) 1) narcotics & other meds can dry you out 2) they slow down motility... Being in UK you may not have the same named meds but I will give it a try....first off, if you can get FIBER, it bulks up poo and helps absorb water, around 25grams/day which is REALLY hard to do, in your diet, so a Metamucil or other fiber builder can help and drinking water(there are other fluids but some w/caffeine & alcohol have a further dehydrating effect) so thats the first try...then if THAT doesnt work you can take a STOOL SOFTENER (it makes it softer but it DOES NOT give you the URGE/ABILITY to GO) Docusate Sodium is a stool softener & you may have others, Senna works as a stimulant laxative(there is a Senna thats contains Docusate Sodium so you get BOTH together, so then it softens and stimulates) b/c it is a stimulant laxative it can cause cramping but, you can tweak the dose to suit YOU,(chronic constipation can lead to hemorrhoids, nausea, pain & even impaction, people underestimate how BAD constipation can make you feel)...however if the Senna doesnt work (& there are people who THAT doesnt work for or the Senna stops working as well), there is PEG 3350/Polyethylene Glycol/Miralax/Restoralax (this is considered a necessity via WHO as an important medication for its uses)...it may be by RX or OTC...it is the next level but it ALWAYS works....you mix 70g powder w/ ANY liquid, it totally dissolves...you take it once a day it IS NOT a stimulant....it works like FIBER and sucks more water into your bowel & it also helps you go, it takes a bit of trial and error(I didnt have any guidelines from anyone of what to try & I started with NO IDEA how long or what to expect, hopefully this can help....I was totally backed up(on xray) I took PEG for 3 days...I started to get worried it wasnt working but the next day... It worked, & worked...I felt SO MUCH better, I take pain meds everyday, and suffered for YEARS with no solution to OIC....I take PEG everyday for 5 days, stop for 2 days and continue 5on/2off (it takes close to 3 days to kick in when you FIRST START but, when you get stable(in the first few weeks) it works great and regularly NO CONSTIPATION, it works for everybody(the reason to go off for 2days, is it can work TOO good & you can get diarrhea but 3 days(b/c of how it works may be too long) be sure to drink your fluids b/c water being sucked into your bowel can leave you feeling dehydrated...Hopefully you can get things figured out and get some relief...pls let me know if you have questions...BEST WISHES💟

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm off opioids for now, as I do have a nerve blocker in. In any case. Thanks for the info 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.