Opioids medications & weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi so ive been on a range of high medications, zormorph, sevredol, amitriptaline, trazadone, fluoxetine, fenofexadine, long term low dose antibiotics, inhalers, new asthma medication, whilst i started taking all the meds years ago i went from 9stone upto 15/16 stone. i reduced medications at one point when i could dependent on my pain block medications etc but recently have been back on them all back upto the top end of highest doses i can take possible if more at times. i notice i look constantly swollen & roundish & i crave sweet things constantly, im never full always want to eat & no matter what i cannot loose weight which is so depressing for myself as i have a bad back which doesnt help my mobility or the pain. could the weight gain be down to the medications? this makes me so despressed its untrue i have piled on at least 6stones, no matter what i seem to do it doesnt seem to come off or i loose few pounds to gain more again. thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Read The Pioppi Diet by Dr Aseem Malhotra. He's a Consultant Cardiologist who's developed a great interest in controlling the obesity crisis and, obviously, heart disease and diabetes type 2.. Hes an advocate of using less medication and improving health by lifestyle and diet. The diet is research based and references all the relevant research. It is basically high fat (good fat, extra virgin olive oil, oily fish etc etc) and low carbohydrates. I now eat all the things i love and haven't eaten in years and Ive lost weight without really trying. My angina has improved and ive stopped taking statins. My blood sugar has come down, so i'm no longer pre-diabetic.

You're obviously taking lots of meds for pain relief. Whats the problem? I take amitriptyline following a spinal cord injury in my neck. It helps with the neck pain and pins and needles from my neck down to my feet. I've been taking it for 12 years with no problems at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.