optic nerve cupping.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went for an appointment with an opthamoligist this morning because I was referred by my optician. Apparantly I have something called cupping of the optic nerve, which is a sign of glaucoma. They checked my eye pressure several times because one of my eyes had a pressure of 15, while the other was 20. They told me that my vision is good, & I don`t have glaucoma, but they have given me an appointment to go to the glaucoma clinic in 6 month`s time. I`m very worried by all this. If I don`t have glaucoma, then why do I have cupping in my optic nerves, & why must I go to the glaucoma clinic?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You dont have fully blown glaucoma...you are one of the lucky ones who have been caught very early so can be monitored in a glaucoma clinic.  Were you given any drops to use?        Your pressures may not ever change but you need to be monitored. It is well worth the effort to attend these apponitments as glaucoma can be very slow and painless so you arent aware of the problem. Incidentally,if you are aware of any changes in your sight,especially sudden ones then go to A/E straight away.
  • Posted

I doubt if it is anything to greatly worry about. They keep an eye on anyone with the least possibilty of glaucoma. In my case for for about 12 years without me actually having it. My eye pressure is outside the norm but evidently beacause I have a thicker cornea than normal. They are now doing the same with my wife.

Both people with and without optic nerve damage have optic nerve cupping, although those with glaucoma tend to have a greater cup-to-disc ratio. A cup to disc ratio greater than six-tenths is generally considered to be suspicious for glaucoma. 

Through periodic photographs of the optic nerve, the ratio of the cup to the disc can be monitored. This helps the doctor determine whether or not damage is still occurring to the nerve fibers with current treatment and/or if treatment should be modified.

• Posted

You have hit the nail on the head Derek. You are obviously in the same boat as me with regular checkups. My pressures havent changed in 12 years either.
    • Posted

The hospital told me that I have thicker corneas than normal that the optician could not measure. My eye pressure he said was 21-24 mmHg but because of a thicker cornea should be regarded as 16-18 mmHg. He made the example of pressing a finger to a balloon and to a football. The balloon will register more pressure than the football from the same pressure because  of its thickness. Eye pressure he said is like BP with the hormones that get you ready for the day raising it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.