Optical nerve couldn't be seen by optician so sent to hospital

Posted , 2 users are following.

Rather anxious that after routine eye test at Boots was phoned by acute admisions dept at local hospital for appointent, anyone any idea what this means at was only told it could be pressure somewhere!..Oh also had slight dull pain on left eye socket for around four weeks. Have had lots of stress so I guess I was just hoping it would go away.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Boots are probably being cautious. The hospital equipment is much better than than  theirs so will get more  accurate results. Opticians have said similar to me but the hospital can measure you corneal thickness. In my case I have thicker than normal corneas that give opticians a false pressure reading.  
    • Posted

Hi and thank you for reply. As far as aware it was not the pressure test, it was the digital picture and observation with lights 'said she couldnt see the optical nerve, perhaps because there was some pressure somewhere'. I just know it was last appointment Sat and I just wanted new glasses and next thing I got the hospital phoneing to get me in the Monday.....
    • Posted

I was told by the hospital consultant that my optical nerve was rather narrow. Every time I go to an opticians they come up with something that is not confirmed but twice they have not found something that did exist. 

Along with cardiology problems hospitals are very quick to see you for eye conditions.

• Posted

Thank you again, and don't feel quite so apprehensive now! I will know by the end of the day. Will keep posted.
    • Posted

I now hate opticians as every time I have had my eyes tested in the last eleven years they all think that they have found a problem,

B***s are so totally useless that I will never go there again. I have posted my experience with them in another conversation earlier this year.

• Posted

It's a relief but also annoying that I waited four hours to be explained to that there was no problem seeing my optic nerve it just rather small. B___s again, so will probably go to another option next time. Very anxious weekend I could have done without.

Thanks again for support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.