Optical urethrotomy and +/- dilation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, it's 18th August 2017 and I've just had my optical urethrotomy. I'm 23 years old and when I was 16 I got hit with a cricket ball travelling at 83mph hitting directly on my penis causing injury to my urethra. I used to be that guy searching on forums hoping I'd find some reassurance prior to operation, I even cancelled my optical urethrotomy 18hrs before as I read up some "man's" painful experience. My symptoms worsen and had to have a suprapubic catheter fitted as a urethral catheter was resisting itself from going in due the stricture becoming well settled. I had the suprapubic catheter which was done under local anesthesia because it was an emergency with my bladder holding 750ml urine. That was extremely painful I will not lie, the piercing of the tube inthrough the bladder was the worst and that was it, other than that the stitches were a nuisance pulling on my skin whenever I sat down or stood up straight. After having that in for 2 weeks I was given my op today to cut around my scar and widen the urethra, and had the SPC removed. I was obviously very nervous being only 23 years of age undergoing something like this. However this procedure went as smooth as I'd hoped, I was put to sleep with a general anesthetic and I woke up being the most polite weirdo offering all the ward staff members chocolate which I didn't even have to give lol! I cringed when I came around! Anyway I woke up with a size 16 catheter inserted in my penis and I was covered in blood... however no pain! After about an hour of me being awake, I was able to recognise the mild burning sensation (nothing unbearable) in my urethra which was caused by the catheter mostly. I then got given painkillers and a 4 day course of ciprofloxacin 500mg. Rested in the ward for another 3 hours, eating and drinking. The urologist came and checked up on me and said you're good to go. I'm back in after 10days to remove catheter from penis and then I will be taught self catheterisation to ensure the urethra doesn't start to close again which is very common. I'm home now and the pain isn't too bad just the catheter is being a bit of a nuisance fiddling about. I'm an extremely anxious/nervous person when it concerns Russel (the one eyed love muscle) but please anyone who's due to have this procuedure, it's really worth it and you'll feel a million times better... just remember it's for a good cause and you're braver than you think! All the best - hope I haven't missed out anything! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about all your problem for someone so young you have been through a lot.  You may not have to do CIC every day maybe one a week to make sure it stays open.  Your going to need Russel if you want to have some kids someday.  You need it to stay open.  Good luck  Ken 
  • Posted

Best of luck in your recovery and thereafter.  May you and Russell have a long and happy life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.