Optician referral to hospital. So worried

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I hope someone can help as I am going mad with worry. I went to see an optician last week (i've not seen one in years as not had trouble with my eyes that I knew of). Anyway, he exmained me and my vision in the left eye is perfect as well as the inside of the eye. The right eye is shortsighted. He examined my eyes with the bright light and then said I have to refer you to the hospital and gave me a letter for my GP about my shortsighted right eye....I walked out of there dazed and panicked... Basically the letter says 'urgent referral' - RE disc margins blurred 0.2. Otherwise both eyes appear healthy.

What does this mean? I've done a lot of googling but all sorts of eye conditions keep coming up but I've not found anything as to say what this means? Does blurred disc margins  mean inflammation of the optic disc? What could cause this?

I gave the letter to my GP practice and they said the hospital will write to me. So it is a long wait now and I  feel sick with worry that I can't eat. The optician asked me if I have frequent strong headaches. I have occassional and mild headaches. No loss of temporary vision in my RE and i have been shortsighted in this eye for at least 15 years. No nausea or vomitting and the pressure in both my eyes is normal. It's 13 and 15 in each eye.

Please can someone tell me what could cause blurred disc margins in one eye? Is it inflammation of the optic nerve or could this mean something else? I know no one can tell me for sure what I have but I was hoping there are people who may have had the same or know what could cause blurred optic disc margins. Presumably 0.2 means the blurred margin of 0.2 mm. Is this significant?

I am 42yo, not diabetic and have normal blood pressure, last reading about three weeks ago 114/78.

Sorry for the long post and many thanks to anyone who replies

Diana

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just had the same today and I feel sick with worry.

I had my eyes tested at home for years due to agoraphobia so didn't have the pressure test and the other one before my eye test.

So this could if been there a while.

I've had a cold for 3 weeks and painful sinus so I'm hoping that's all it is

• Posted

This was a reply to a similar question:

**There are many totally harmless causes for slightly blurred optic disc margin including: hyperopia, buried drusen, congenital anomoly, peristent glial tissue, mylenated nerve fibers. Papilledema due to things like brain tumors is normally in both eyes and is very blurred. If things don't change over time and you have no other symptoms it is generallynot indicated to go to the expense and radiation exposure of a MRI. **

• Posted

Hi, I wondered if anyone else has been diagnosed with raised nasal margin?

My son who is 19 was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was younger and I have had severe health anxiety over him ever since, even thank thankfully he fully recovered and been fine since.

He went for his first routine eye check up at specsavers on monday, and although his eyesight was perfect, he has been given a non-urgent referral to the eye hospital. This was because although his left eye is perfect, his right eye had "raised nasal margins". The optometrist said that he suspect disk drusen and has referred him for "confirmation of diagnosis" and future reference. He has no symptoms, vision great, no headaches or sickness. The optometrist was great and assured it wasnt anything to worry about.

However I cant sleep for worry, I did the worst thing and googled this, and the more you go into it, you can see links to brain tumours etc. I just wondered if anyone had experience of what my son has, and is it a rare occurance? Google says that less than 2% of the population get it.

Hope someone can put my mind at rest, there is nothing worse than worrying about your child.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.