Optimel Manuka Gel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all,

I have suffered with Blepharitis for around 8 years. I believe much of the problems started after lazer eye surgery. I have had MGD, stye formation followed by claizon and surgerical removal. The symptoms that have effected my confidence the most are inflamed upper and lower lids.

I have tried every method of helping the situation. Including the use of Baby shampoo scrubs, tea tree oil, Blephasol, allergy tablets, coconut oil, hot compresses, caster oil, wet wipes etc etc. Even giving up dairy and gluten. None of this significantly helped.

Although small improvements, nothing has had a profound effect. In some cases it could be argued that I did not give it enough time. I read about the benefits of manuka honey and noted a product called manuka optimel eye drops (I believe I read about it here on some miserable night where I was googling with little hope of a solution)

I started using Optimel Manuka Eye drops 3 times a day and saw some improvements within a few weeks. My eyes felt more comfortable and although the inflammation was still there, there was less redness and tiredness. I did more searching and came across a Youtube video: 

I spoke directly to the creator of this video (Akshay) who has wrote a blog on the subject. Our symptoms were identical, and he recommended the Optimel Manuka Gel which has much more manuka honey content than the drops. It has been 3 months now of using the gel twice a day. It has helped me a great deal and my eyes are in a much better condition than they have been in 8 years. They feel much more comfortable and look much improved. Slowly but surely, I believe 8 years of inflammation (much of which I credit to surgical removal) is being undone.

So much so that I have begun using the product 3 times a day! Although each of our stories are different and different things work for different people. I just wanted to raise this as it could help more people like myself. I would of loved to have known about this product 8 years ago.

I live in the UK and it is manufactured in Australia. I bought directly from the producer and although it took some time to get here, it was well worth it.

One thing I would add is that patience is needed. I apply 2 or 3 times a day using a small pea sized amount of the gel on the end of a Q tip (cotton bud). Different end of the q tip for each eye. I pull my lower lid down and place the gel in the inner corner of my eye. I then close my eyes for a good minute or two until the stinging stops. It is a small price to pay for the relief I gain.

I hope that this post can help people in the same way that Akshay and his video helped me. I am forever grateful. I will continue to use and let you know how things develop.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, an interesting post.  My own story was much the same, red swollen eyelids, a chalazion (which was surgically removed but I'm told this is no  longer available on the NHS). Every morning I woke with crud in my eyes, dried oils from the eyelash follicles. I once had dermatitis of the scalp and the doctor prescribed Capasal shampoo, use every morning.  I followed the instructions and lo and behold the blepharitis began to improve as well as the dermatitis.   I now find that so long as I shower every morning and wash thoroughly with this stuff around the scalp, brows and eyes the blepharitis leaves me alone but miss a day and woe betide!

My right eye was the worst affected.

I know of one person I told this story to that tried to obtain Capasal and was told that it isn't for treating blepharitis, just tell the pharmacist you have seborrheic dermatitis because that is what it is prescribed for.  I think it is available on Amazon anyway.  I get mine on repeat so my bleph treatment costs nothing, manuka, I gather, is expensive.

Good luck.

• Posted

Does this product make the eyes sticky?
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, Yes it can do a little if it escapes your eyes but I just dab my eyes with a little tissue or a clean face towl. It stings when you close your eyes and so you keep your eyes closed for a minute or two whilst the stinging subsides. When you open them your eyes are likely to tear but I just dab at them.

It takes some patience but I really believe this can help many people. When I pull my lids down to put the gel in, I used to see a lot of redness under the lids which I believe is a common side effect of blepharitis/MGD. Every day, this redness is clearing more and more and solving the problem around inflammation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.