Option to freeze eggs before op to remove ovarian cysts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone know if there is an option to have eggs removed and frozen on the nhs prior to or during an operation to remove cysts from ovaries?

I have two cysts 8cm and 5cm, Im due to have an op to remove them in 3 weeks, ive been told that worse case scenario my ovaries may have to be removed too.No advice or support has been offered if 'worst case scenario' does happen.Now I've got over the shock of it all Im wondering if there is anything that can be done to freeze my eggs before or during the operation. I have an appointment to discuss this with my consultant next week but this only leaves 2 weeks until me op.

Any advice/experience anyone has is much appreciated....

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, i noticed that you posted this question about a year ago and there was no reply. I am wondering if you did manage to ask the Dr whether the eggs could be frozen in worst case scenario? Or if anyone else in this forum have asked for the same in case the ovaries had to be removed as well.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I'm in the same boat. I asked for my eggs freezing before my cysts were removed, however was told fertility drugs can make the cysts bigger and also a chance of rupturing cyst when trying to retrieve egg with needle.

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your experience asking about this. I will try to ask my dr about it today but like you mentioned it seems like a complicated procedure to even try to retrieve the eggs...hmmm.. i wonder if anyone else were able to do it.. its tough when you get this before even having the opportunity to conceive and then not knowing if you ever will be as everything can only be known at the point of surgery. 

• Posted

Hi,

I notice this is an old post but is anyone able to shed any light on this and outcome please? I am in the same situation now waiting for laporoscopy with possible removal if ovary but have not asked anout freezing eggs yet. Thank you so much

• Posted

Hi there,

I am in the same boat as well with a laparotomy soon in december. I will speak to my consultant gynancologist today for answers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.