Options: Wait, PAE or FLA or Gat Goren procedure or perhaps PEMF

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello all,   I'm 54 years old and I've had BPH for 12 years.  Up until the last 6 months, things were annoying but not so bad. Recently, I've been peeing very slowly and retaining fluid etc... I can't say things aren't horrible but now I'm getting up more often at night.  Mostly once but twice a lot... I'm not complaining after reading about guys on this site who get up 6 to 8 times a night. my change has been mostly with the stream... I had a flow test and the qmax was an 8. My Uro said im peeing like an 80 yr old man...I also had a ultrsound recently and I have a large median lobe and the prostate was  about 55 grams. He said my median lobe was like a ball pushing up into my bladder and bladder neck...  Anyway,  I've looked at all the procedures that I could find not wanting to take any of the drugs. My Uro was pushing rappaflow and finisteride. I want to do something now before it gets a lot worse because I know it's headed there. I'm interested in what everyone has to say. I've looked at the Gat Goren procedure and to be honest, it seems to have solved the underlying cause of BPH. The backflow from spermatic veins into the prostate makes a lot of sense as the cause for the enlargement. The problem is it doesn't look like anybody besides Gat Goren is doing it and it's very expensive. I've been reading about since 2009 and the treatment hasn't taken off around the world. I have no idea why. If I had the 20 to 25k. I think I would do that but given my not so horrible codition right now and my lack of funds for the operation, I can wait until it's more widespread(which may never happen)or consider something else. I checked with Dr Bagla's office recently and the PAE operation will be covered 100 percent by my insurance, so I'm leaning in that direction. FLA looks fantastic. No blocking anything off, no beads just precision ablation with minimum side effects...But it's 20k... Now there's another treatment on the horizon..PEMF..  It looks promising but years away.  So, I'm leaning toward PAE and I figure I can still do one of these other treatments in the future if it doesn't work out or lasts only a few years... I'm pretty sure doing PAE doesn't preclude any other type of treatment in the future...like the Gat Goren procedure or FLA...My gut feeling is I should get the PAE done now even though I'm not as bad as other guys... But, I'm obviously not sure. 

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good evening tgt111,

I had the very same issues and I did the PAE and had great results. If your insurance covers it thats a plus. I got mine done in Lisbon, Portugal by Dr. Pisco and it cost me 4900.00 Euros. It will definally shrink the postrate. I suggest to get an angio CT scan by your radiologist. Good luck and God bless you

• Posted

Pae treated the whole prostate and median lobe doesn't matter to pae. I had an enlarged one and it still treated it bc my doctor explained the blood supply goes to the whole gland. Median love only affects the other treatments like urolift, etc

• Posted

Had pae by dr bagla. I did great. Granted, there are 5% that see  no improvement  but not worse. Not true for other procedures that can mess u up! 

Fda has approved pae and not any laser for bph. 

Urolift leaves metal in your prostate and can interfere with other things 

Easy decision and best one for me! Good luck!!

• Posted

Study of prostate artery embolization (PAE) for enlarged prostate :

The study involved a total of 1,000 men with an enlarged prostate who underwent prostate artery embolization between March 2007 and March 2016. 

Evaluations were conducted for all of the men at one, three, and six months (short-term) following their procedure, while 807 men were evaluated every six months between six months and three years and 406 were followed every year after three years.

Overall, the researchers found:

An 89 percent success rate during the short term

An 82 percent success rate during the medium term

A 78 percent success rate during the long term

Among the 112 men who had acute urinary retention before undergoing PAE, 89 (78.5) did not experience a recurrence of this problem in the long term

Among the 210 men with very large prostates, PAE resulted in success in 76.2 percent of men in the long term

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.