Optrex eye drops containing benzalkonium chloride

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi all,

I was searching for remedies for blepharitis when I stumbled across this site. I have recently started using Optrex refreshing eye drops and they seem to really help. I see people are talking about benzalkonium chloride and lo and behold when I checked the ingredients of these eye drops, they have this in them.

So I thought I'd just mention that this is a product designed specifically for the eyes that contains this substance.

The box says "Refreshing eyedrops for tired eyes" and the "for tired eyes" is on a green background.

Just for reference, my condition isn't too bad, I just get inflamed eye lids and a "burning" sensation in my eyes and I need to keep blinking constantly. It's more annoying than anything else. I do the usual eye cleaning and warming but these eye drops are certainly helping as well.

Hope that helps

Neil

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Neil-I just saw your comment- I know it was posted  a few mos ago, but am so happy to hear this.  Where do you purchase the eye drops ?

Thank you,

Kathy

• Posted

Hi kathy47874

Just seen your post about eye drops i use optrex eye drops for tired eyes and for me they are really good they do  a good job of lubricating my eyes so they are not dry or itchy so they might be ok for you. My eyes were sore red and itchy but i use wet ones as well as the eye drops and i have no bother really i feel my eyes starting to feel itch i up the cleaning with wet ones and i dont haveany more trouble hope you sort it outsmile jeanette

• Posted

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks so much for answering.  I am going to try the drops.  I have found that when my eyes are doing better, I slack up on treating them and then within a few days, they are red , itchy and swollen, esp the lower lid. 

• Posted

Hi kathy47874

I used the wet ones as Lynda79 said four times a day to start with and now i just do it twice morning and night and when i feel my eyes  start to itch and look red i use them three times a day and that eases them down. I hope the drops eases your eyes  smile Mine were red sore and really itchy (only1 eye) could not wear makeup at all Lynda79 told me you could buy throw away mascara wands and still use mascara  i am pleased as son is getting married next year and i thought i would be the 1 with the red eye and no make up!! well good luck with the eye drops and hope it clears up soon jeanette

• Posted

Jeanette-I did order the disposable wands and they are great. My left eye is worse than the right . I remember when it all first began.  I woke up one morning and my eye was blood red.  Two days prior, I had a terrible headache. That was the beginning.  I am wearing eye make-up again.  If I keep it on until bedtime, I really pay sad Hope you'll be able to wear make-up at the wedding. You still have time. Just don't wear any now until next year lol 

Hugs,

Kathy

• Posted

Hi

have you heard about the blepasteam goggels?£200 so would love to hear from someone who has used it?

i use  bleposol(great gentle way to remove eye makup) or Blephaclean for lid hygien they are very good prouduts.

I will look into trying the optrex eye drops only around my eyes though since my eyes do not like preservatives .

Vanessa.

• Posted

Hi kathy47874

Glad to hear you can wear make-up it has been a while for me and when i did i always paid dearly for it.I always removed my make-up even before my eyes started. Mine started 2003/4 and what looked like a small stye on right eye and i had it removed turned out not to have been a stye never went away before removal!! It is my right eye and it used to get worse by a night time but that is in the past thanks to Lynda79.Not often i wear make-up now but it is nice to know that i can if i wanted tosmile Dont want to look like i have been up all night before the wedding!! lol( well 1 eye) blood shot and itchy!! you take care hun jeanette

• Posted

Jeanette and Vanessa,

I have not tried the goggles.I did try the microwaveable eye mask and it made my eyes turn really red-not sure if I had it too hot. I have not used it since. The cornea Dr I saw told me that Rosacea goes hand in hand with Blepharitis. I never knew I did.  I sometimes keep make-up longer than the recommended 6 months and wonder if that is where the bacteria came from. I will never invest in expensive eye make-up again. Before I was diagnosed as having Blepharitis, my opthamologist treated me for pink-eye.  The week before, I had purchased all new Lancome make-up and had to discard all of it sad

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

it is true rosacea, sebororic dermatitis ,blepharitis often live on the same face,mine is one of them be all 3 mild.

it is very important to wash ones hair often and keep eye lids clean and discard of infected makeup,use through away mascara brushes.

the eye bags can get too hot and burn the skin of the eye lids ...

the blepersteam company  say it states at a steady heat ( 40) you can watch TV while wearing it ect .

My eyes have felt worse since I had lens replacements 2 months ago due to having narrow Angels and high eye pressure  plus before that had to have a  irrodottomy and am on beta blocker eye drops Timolol ,they make my eyes dryer .

take care.

• Posted

PS Sorry for any spelling mistake I am dyslexic .
    • Posted

Vanessa, Thanks for all the great info. My eyes tonight are awful. The swelling underneath on the lower lash lid is so puffy.  I don't know how to help that. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathy,

sorry yor puffy lids are getting you down,I know the feeling,I sometime in the morning  use  a green  tea ice cube( must wrap them in a compress or Cotten hanky ) then I gently go under the lower eye area for a couple of minits then pat dry,tap around the eye area with the finger tips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.