Oral/dental appliance for sleep apnea?

Posted , 1 user is following.

So my primary care doctor's latest "hot button" is getting me diagnosed for sleep apnea. I do not have any symptoms other than my husband says I snore occasionally [VERY occasionally]. I live in the US and have insurance; however they tell me my out-of-pocket cost for an at-home sleep study would be >$700 and a sleep study overnight in a lab would be >$2,400. We can't afford that and I told the doctor this. He referred me to a "sleep specialty dentist" to be evaluated; however, every appliance I have looked at on-line fits over BOTH the upper AND lower teeth, and I have a poorly-seated crown on one of my lower back molars. I don't want to risk pulling that off.

I already wear a mouth guard (well, sporadically) for bruxism, or teeth-grinding and jaw-clenching at night. It only fits the upper teeth. I think I actually snore more with it in than I do without it.

Has anyone worn a mouth guard for sleep apnea? How were you diagnosed? And how will a "sleep dentist" evaluate me without doing an actual sleep study (the ones I can't afford)? And how can I have sleep apnea when I score a 0 on the sleep dentist's on-line quiz?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.