Oral & Genital Lichen Planus. Can anybody live a happy life with this disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been suffering with sore mouth and vagina since 5/09. Visited GP several times and was treated for thrush oral and vaginal thrush. Now diagnosed with the above. I have two consultants for each condition.

My genital LP causes me most pain and discomfort, I now have lower back pain (coxes) I dont know whether it is connected.

I have been prescribed trimovate for vagina which after 5 full days has not given me any comfort. Has this worked for anyone else?

Is there not one dept. or professional that can deal with both conditions? I have been referred to maxillofacial unit and sexual health clinic. Am I being treated by the right people?

I am at my wits end I am fed up of moaning and I wondered if anybody recovers or indeed manages to lead a happy life with this awful condition.

I am 58 and I am going through menopause but I am on HRT low dosage patches. I dont consider myself to be old. Ive never been ill before, so all new to me. I am wearing sanitary towels on a daily basis as this gives me some comfort & support. Is this the wrong thing to do?

Can anybody give me an insight into how they dealt with news/impact on their life and what worked for them. I am desperate.....

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi gillian , yes was beginning to think keeping dry was a better thing to do. thanks

• Posted

need to amend my original post ....been suffering since may 2019.

• Posted

My dentist treats my oral LP and I use Dexamethasone to swish four times a day as needed for irritations. For my genital LP my OB/GYN treats me with Clobetasol Cream. Both of these medications work really well. Get your doctor to write you scripts for these to try. I have had LP for over 20 years and have tried just about everything and these work best for me. Don't settle for a doctor or treatment that is not helping you.

Good Luck,

Debra

• Posted

i agree, dexamethasone and steroid vaginal cream have kept me in check so far.

• Posted

hi thank you for your replies.

I am under a consultant at the hospital for oral lp, and sexual health clinic for genital lp

Dont know whether they will move me to dermatology or gyna at some point.

Ive read some terrible things about the side effects of steroid treatments. Have you both been ok whilst trying different creams? Did the creams that work help straightaway? This is my 6th day on trimovate and no relief whatsoever.

I also think im starting to imagine symptoms like tingling in my armpits. Has anybody else experienced this?

thanks for your time.

cheryl

• Posted

sorry keep thinking of new things.

My genital lp pain is more on one side (my right). It feels enlarged and like my genitals are trapped in a zip., thats why the sanitary towels helped.

I also have a burning sensation in my groin and under the cheeks of my bottom. Is this what youve experienced?

cheryl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.