Oral health and RA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Something I have learned is how important oral health is for a person with RA. I developed an abcess due to an ancient molar that cracked all the way through but was not detected due to a crown that was installed several years ago that hid the damage. So my periodontist "pulled" the molar (actually it practically fell out of me when he took the crown off) and said I was a candidate for an implant. And gum flap surgery. So first he cleaned out the infection. Within two hours of being cleaned out, my RA symptoms just about disappeared. When I told my rheumatologist about it, he said that is just exactly how that works. Without the infection there is little or no inflammation in the body and the symptoms rapidly improve. Then I had the gum flap surgery and my mouth has never felt better and I continue to have less RA pain. 

Little by little I am piecing together what works for me along with diet, etc.

Anyone else experience the results of dental problems on RA?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh, yeah I almost forgot........had the implant done. New mouth!
  • Posted

Haven't had this experience. However, I have a tooth that has been bothering me for quite a while. The dentist put a crown over a tooth without doing a root canal. I kept having problems with that tooth thinking it was a problem with the crown shape. I had it filed several times. It seemed better, but really it never got much better. Now I will be going in for a root canal is my guess. It would be wonderful to find that this tooth could have been part of the issue of pain and discomfort I have been having for a while now. I will let you know.

• Posted

Put me in I c u for 4 days infection almost died from a route xanal
  • Posted

I had a bad gum infection two years ago and developed a fistula on  my gum  which is just about healed   long haul - also had root canal which they say I had an infected root thats what caused my problems  I never considered the ra being involved.  Good to know  thank you
    • Posted

You are welcome. I feel that if I share some of my experiences, I can do something good for others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.