Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 18 users are following.

I think I have Oral Lichen Planus but I can't get a doctor to confirm it.  I have had mouth sores in my check area since 2009 and now my gums are very red and inflammed and have been told that I have white lines on my inside cheek area.  When I go to a dentis to have my teeth cleaned, I am always turned away because they don't like the looks of my mouth sores.  In 2013 I had doctor swab my mouth and send for testing and also did blood work but was told nothing showed up. I think she was looking for bacterial effection.  In the mean time, I continue with a very sore mouth.

I have a hard time eating anything because the sores are next to my bottom back teeth so eating irritates the sores a lot at night I sometimes bite the area with sores due to swelling so they pretty much never heal. 

I recently went to a new dentist and she too wouldn't work on my teeth but she gave me details as to her concerns and told me to get checked for an Auto Immune disorder.  I have since been to a doctor and had blood taken to check for that and then they sent me to  ENT.  He mentioned Oral Lichen Planus which was the first time I have heard of it.  He wants to do a biopsy and then he mentioned a steriod rinse. 

I also researched OLP and I have all the symptoms listed so I just don't understand how going to doctors since 2010 about the mouth sores, no one can figure it out?  Am I finally heading in the right directions for diagnosis?  I scares me that it has been left un treated for 5 years when I read that sometimes those with OPL can lead to mouth cancer.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ckitefly

Do you have lichen planus anywhere else like skin or vulva only I have it and I know it can affect other areas.

How old are you just wondered if it started with the menopause and any abnormal cells after a smear test

Please I would be interested

Take care Xx

• Posted

Hi Karen

I am 47 and my sores started when I was 38.  I don't have any other issued besides the mouth sores and all smear tests have come back good up to last year.  I'm getting a biopsy of my mouth at the end of the month so we can confirm OLP.  Some auto immune blood test came back negative ( Lupus etc.) so the biopsy is the next step.

I can't wait because I want answers.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me what happened over your smear did you have any treatment xx
    • Posted

All my pap smears have been good in the past.  The only thing that the doctors are doing now is the biopsy which is later this month.  I have done the steriod mouth rinse which helped for the most part. It took the sores away on the right side but not all the way on the left and the 10 days are up and the right is coming back.  Mouth sores are my only problem at this time.  However, I have always had crazy hormone issues all my life and then even took infertility injections to have my now 17 year old so not sure if any of that could have played a factor into the now issues.  I know I am also a very stressed person which I was told can be a cause. 
  • Posted

So right now my OLP is really bad.  Has anyone had same issues I have right now and if so, what treatment did you get or suggest.  My ulcers in back are very inflamed in the back of my mouth ( behind back molars) and along the gums line on the side of my mouth ( inner cheek below teeth).  Monday they started hurting really bad and now infected to the point that I have facial swelling,  facial pain fever and dizziness.  Went to the doctor and was given a high dose of antibiotics but oh my god the pain so so bad that I can't even drink water without being in pain.

I've had this since 2008 and this is the worst I have ever had.  Any suggestions would be great appreciated because since starting antibiotics, fever is persisting and dizziness started.

Thank you.  So desperate right now.

• Posted

Sorry your suffering so much! OLP is so painful at times. I was prescribed and use Flixonase nasule drops as a mouthwash and it’s the only thing that has worked for me. This was originally prescribed by Liverpool Dental Hospital and I have it on repeat prescription from my GP. The individual capsule is diluted with 10 mls of water up to three times a day for 3 minutes before spitting out. 

Hope this helps you!! 

Kind regards,

Gill

• Posted

Have you ever had them get infected?  That is what is worrying me the most because ya they hurt and we learn to deal and what to eat or not eat but i have never had an infection.

• Posted

How are you now, I too have suffered LP (oral and genital) for many years. Currently going through a bad patch due to having a heavy cold which seems to set it off.  I'm rinsing with prednisolene 3 times daily and placing a small amount of dermovate ointment on the worse area on the inside of my cheek, although may ask to try Flixonase as gilme below suggests. 

I'm convinced my LP was down to a very stressful event in my life.

• Posted

I am a dental hygienist with Oral erosive lichen planus. The general Dentist office cannot offer much help. Dermatologist is your best bet to get started. Mine has progressively gotten worse over the 9 years,  I would seek treatment with a dermatologist. and be proactive in your care.  It can become worse if left unchecked.

I recently tried the Closys mouthrinses, no mint flavoring which is helpful, helps raise the mouth PH .The toothpaste is minty, but it does not contain the surfactant sodium lauryl sulfate which irritates mouth sores (canker) and LLP.  Best Wishes

• Posted

I live in Tennessee, and I've had LP/OlP for about four years.  It took two years for me to find someone to diagnose it.  The dentist didn't know what it was.  The GP treated me for gingivitis.  Finally a dermatologist did a biopsy and it came back OLP.  He put me on Mycophenolate.  It is a drug used to slow the immune system.   While you have to be monitored because it can increase your chances of getting other illnesses, it has proven to be a life saver for me.  I use childrens toothpaste, and I have to be careful the temperature of food isn't too hot, but for the most part, my OLP doesn't bother me.  Ocassionally, I have flareups, but they are short-lived.

I'm sorry you and everyone else is suffering.  I wish the medical industry would do more for us.  My best to all of you.  Take care.

• Posted

Cancer is rare, but watch for lichen symptoms in other areas. It can be found in any area with mucousa, or on skin. I have more than one form of lichen.
  • Posted

Hi iv had oral lichen planus for over a year very painful condition I was advised by my consultant to have all my silver fillings replaced with whit fillings so I did now my mouth is much better the silver fillings was causing it I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.