Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have OLP almost 6yrs and in that time I have been to most experts in the medical world and tried many homeopathic and home meds, none have helped me with the exception of Arsnic albumin and Tumeric which helped a little.Now my Rheumatologist has put me on a medication named ADALIMUMAB [HUMIRA]  it is normally prescribed for Rheumatoid arthritis /Crohn's so now they are trying to se if it works for OLP, the Humira is self administered injection every other week, I am using it almost 3 months and there is no change in my OLP but I am told it only takes effect after 3 months so I am hoping, it is an expensive medication costing 1000 euros for each injection,..I am wondering if there is anyone using this Humira [ADALIMUMAB] for Oral Lichen Planus or LichenPlanus if you could give me some information as to how it worked or not for you....thank you in advance...Teresa   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa, I feel for you.  I've had OLP for about 6 years, too.  I have not used HUMIRA.  I'll be watching to see if it works for you.  About three years ago, my dermatologist put me on Mycophenolate (generic for Cellcept).  It is a drug used for people who have had transplants to keep their body from rejecting organs.  At first it didn't do much, but he increased the dosage and It has worked wonders for me.  For the past three years, I forget I have it most of the time.  I still have a flareup, but it is not often and not bad.  Maybe you could consider trying it if HUMIRA doesn't work for you.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Was this a tablet or cream you used? I was on the cream of this and it did nothing for me sadly
    • Posted

Hi Sasr, thanks a million for your quick and detailed reply, your reply has lifted my hopes and my spirits as if the Humira does not work i will have Cellcept to use, i will post if there is any change in my OLP...thank you again..Teresa
    • Posted

Hi Esuma, I take Mycophenolate (Cellcept) orally.  The tablets are 500mg and I take two, twice a day.  I tried one, two times a day at first, but it didn't help much.  Once I started two, two times per day, it worked.  Even though it lowers your immune system, I rarely get sick from a cold or anything.  I have been sick two times in six years, both times with the flu/virus.  I am active, exercise daily and eat well (vegetarian), except for my sweet cravings!  I don't get colds,etc.  I hope this is an avenue that may help others as it as helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.