Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have read all the comments on Oral LP but don't think have seen any comments on lack of taste---Can put up with the discomfort in the mouth but not being able to go out and enjoy a really good meal--now that is totally depressing---anyone similar??? & the answer is--if there is one???

Cheers

Richard

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I also suffer with a loss of taste. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. I tend to put more salt on everything but beyond that there's not much you can do really.

I have on occasion taken the risk and eaten spicy food which I can taste more, but obviously this is usually a no go for LP sufferers. I have found that if I have ice cream or something else milk based after spicy food it helps to take the sting out and lessens the after effects but that might not work for everyone. I also increase my Betamethasone mouthwash for a few days afterwards. Sometimes its worth the pain just to be able to taste something.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim

Yes loss of taste a really big problem--as I said I can put up with the rest.Do you find it dragging you down and are not eating as much as you should--hence loss of weight?Have been warned about this so try to ensure eat reasonable meals even though taste very metallic.

I do find Indian food helps--not too hot/spicy--even a Khorma is quite ok--Also garlic prawns as a starter is pretty good.Funnily enough can taste wine--strange!

Have tried Betamethasone and it filled me full of anxiety/depression etc so had to come off.Am trying prednisone at the moment--will let you know

If you find a solution please let me know

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Yes I do find it a bit depressing at times but I've gone the other way and tend to eat high salt and sugar foods as I can taste them better. Unfortunately this has resulted in weight gain for me which I find more depressing.

I don't really get a metallic taste, just blandness. Indian food and garlic don't agree with me and I don't drink so I comfort eat sugar instead.

I'm currently using Prednisolone as my chemist is unable to get hold of Betamethasone. I dissolve them in water and use as a mouthwash which I spit out so I don't have any side effects from them. Do you swallow yours?

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim

I do have an additional problem--ulcerative colitis-so I do have to manage what I eat.If I put too much salt on my food that's all that I taste-pure salt.

Yes have to eat normally but the UC will not allow me to overeat--putting on weight would increase the problem for me

Yes I swallow the prednisone---taking 6 5mg per day at the moment--makes you bit spaced out but you do feel quite good until you have to come off them---very slowly though--decrease 1 per week.Still not sorted --yet Am seeing Dentist next week but don't think he any more clue than I have

Let's hope we can sort

Chrs

Richard

• Posted

hi Richard,

I can certainly empathize with you. In my case, along with OLP(erosive), i have developed a keener sense of smell. I can smell the delicious aromas of food but i cannot eat anything but bland, soft food (at least when my OLP is flaring up) How ironic is that?

During flares, I also lose approx 5lbs. due to lack of appetite. I have other autoimmune stuff going on so I feel generally unwell during times when my OLP is active which effects my appetite but the thought of another bland meal is not appetite enhancing.

I try to enjoy the times when i dont have OLP sores and eat all the foods i love (except for very spicy food).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.