Oral lichen planus

Posted , 14 users are following.

i have just been diagnosed after suffering gum blisters and ulcers at the base of my gums and inner cheeks, even my tongue is affected. it has been like this for over two months without any break.

how long does this last. im getting depressed. its so extremely painful. i read it can last two years.

how long do most people suffer without a break

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

i havent had long term issues with my Oral Lichen Planus but the longest was like two or three weeks..it was very painful. i have lichen planus on both my legs and top of my feet continuosly (non-stop) since 1992, yep, thats 28 freaken years!

• Posted

oh wow, i had never heard of it before i got it. i hope it doesnt spread to other areas

• Posted

I hate to answer this way but it can last awhile. it can depend on several different things and not always the same things to some people. I've had this for over 10 years with various stages of sores. The things i had to do that have helped are to change my toothpaste to something that is not so harsh. i had been using biotene but they changed their forumla and now i use a kids toothpaste. i also use ACT kids mouthwash. Some spices set off my OLP outbreaks. Some big ones i've figured out are white pepper, fresh crushed pepper, chilli pepper, too much cinnamon and a few others. you'll have to figure out if there are any that bother you. i also have to avoid most things that have menthol and mint in them so like menthol cough drops, gum and candy.

i also can't drink anything out of stainless steel.

If you're tongue or cheeks start to react stop eating or drinking it immediately.

As for what can help i use a steroid gel on my gums, cheeks and tongue. it's prescribed from my doctor & is called Fluocinonide Gel usp, 0.05%. It stings a bit when you first put it on but it helps. if you are like you describe you should tell your doctor to write you this and get it ongoing as you should keep a tube with you as it can flare up.

Most doctors and dentists don't know anything about treating this. I've been through a few dentist before i found one who actually knew about and had a plan for helping me. He had researched it and believed that silver fillings were a big cause in many of the OLP sores. If I was willing he would replace my silver fillings with white fillings. At the time my cheeks were always sores as were parts of my tongue. Luckily my insurance covered it and once he was done the issues with OLP were reduced by about 80%. i no longer had active sores on an ongoing basis. The OLP hasn't totally gone away and i still take all the measures i mentioned.

This dental treatment is still not considered a proven treatment for OLP. My dentist was going to write my case up as a medical paper but unfortunately has passed away. I've since had to find another dentist to treat me. you know what this new guy said when I told him about my successful treatment for OLP? "That doesn't work". Ignorant doctors are of no help.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck.

• Edited

I've had it for four years now and no better than when it started. Sorry!.💕

• Posted

I'm so sorry you have this. I have had it for over 5 years. (Over the years, I have also had other autoimmune outbreaks so this is just the latest that is different.) I tried all the mouth rinses and alternative therapies but nothing worked. I have been on an immune suppressant drug for over three years. It has kept the soreness out of my mouth and I have very little of the rash, so little it rarely bothers me. I use children's toothpaste because I can't take the mint in the adults. My teeth haven't suffered from using children's toothpaste. My dentist says I'm doing great. There are drug side effects from the drug. My hair falls out, but not in clumps, just all over so it gets thin, but it was doing that before the drug so I don't know if the drug exacerbates it or not. It always grows back, but begins the process over and over again. I recently tried to come off the drug and my gums and mouth immediately started to show signs of OLP. I hate this! I am taking the small risk of getting cancer from using this drug because the pain in my mouth is so bad. I wish I could tell you better news.

I have a personal friend who got it and hers went away after about a year.Hers was never as bad as mine. So maybe you will be one of those who only has one outbreak that will eventually go away. I hope so! I hope one day a drug will be made just for this. I wish I could give you better news. Hang in there. You are not alone in this fight. My heart goes out to you and everyone who suffers autoimmune diseases.

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with OLP last november after a very stressful few months with an ulcer that turned into a hole on my tongue it was very painful

antibiotics helped a little but didnt heal it fully

i had to he very careful with food, stop drinking alcohol etc and gradually it has healed

but i still get sore cheeks and tongue with raised sores every few weeks that last a few days i have a steroid paste that is very effective

ive also heard it can be up to 2 years, im 8 months in now

im also a long term Omoparozole user and have read that it can be a trigger so have cut right back to 3/4 tabs a month

hope it clears for you soon

• Posted

i have the same and its been 1.9 years. the treatments definitely help a lot. mine has improved out of sight but i wondered if you get enlarged lymph nodes in your jaw and neck with yours?

thanks

• Posted

Hi Jen, wanted to check to see how it is going for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.