Oral lichen planus in throat??

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello everyone! I am a 33 year old female and was recently diagnosed with oral lichen planus (confirmed with gum biopsy). My gums were very red and inflamed, with some erosions, so I started a topical steroid gel. It has improved some, but not completely. A couple of weeks ago, I developed a sore throat, which I thought was just a virus. Then my tongue got all white, so I thought maybe it was thrush from the oral steroids. Started on a two week course of fluconazole, which I am almost finished with. I have also been taking probiotics. The white tongue is gone and there are no visible signs of thrush, but the pain is still there. The pain is deep in my throat, down deeper than I can see.....it almost feels like it is near my vocal cords or the top of my esophagus. Has anyone else with OLP experienced this? My doc said that it is very uncommon to have OLP there, so he wasn't convinced that was the problem, but I don't know what else it could be. The pain is awful, especially a couple of hours after eating. I am taking omeprazole as well, but it really doesn't feel like GERD. At this point, my mouth is the least of my worries, it is mostly my throat that is bothering me. Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too have olp for many years and had great success with hydroxychloroquine a anti malaria medicine until just lately. I now have a large ulcer and sore gums but also burning sore throats which I thought was herd. Reading all of this has me thinking. What type of drs are you going too a dermatologist or ent?
  • Posted

Hi. I'm so sorry for all of you who have this quite severely,  I do have OLP but just on gums above top teeth and  on one side and in the corner of my mouth which I constantly keep feeling with my tongue. I have had a lot going on in the last two years, bereavement, house move, etc and have been told it can have a lot to do with stress. Have been to the dental hospital but refuse to go back and have a biopsy just to be told 'yes it is OLP and there's really nothing we can do for it' type stuff, not just now anyway as I feel I have enough on my plate.  Also I'm so wary about any medication so I thought that I would try acupuncture which has helped me with other things. 

• Posted

Hmm. I have olp. Believe it is in the back of my throat, because the pain coincides with the pain and white spots on my tongue and gums. I too take omeprazole.
    • Posted

wonder if omeprazole is a problem. I have taken it for 20 years. My OLP started though a few months after i had a reaction getting dental work done toa lidocaine shot
  • Posted

This!!! Someone please relate to me I am scared and emotional! I’m 33 I have had thyroid problems since I was 12 years old and horrible anxiety disorder. This past summer I got Alopecia Areata and lost 60% of my hair. With aggressive treatments my hair is now finally growing back in. Well 2 weeks ago I developed what I thought was just a small tear on my vagina (I assumed it was a cut from shaving) my dr said it was LS and I have been using the topical steroid cream which has helped. AS OF TONIGHT, under my tong started stinging the same stinging that my nether region had so I looked in the mirror and am almost certain I have LS in my mouth now 😫 I’m freaking out!!! My throat and esophagus has been sore due to cankers and now I’m convinced it’s in my throat too. I was told since everyone (myself included) have been sick that it’s just a virus. But now after reading more about LS I am almost certain that’s what it is. Please help me feel not so alone, please tell me I’m not dying and that my life is not going to suck. I have been horribly depressed about this . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.