Oral Lichen Planus...sorry nothing we can do...are you kidding me....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed in May 2014 Ulcerative Oral Lichen Planus. On this site, I feel a connection (and I'm sure my friends and family no longer want to hear me discuss this!)- pathetic that doctors/dentists won't/can't really help us, no one will research it, there isn't going to be a cure. SO, Plan...Remission. Mine has not gone into remission yet, if it does, does it completely go away for awhile? How do you know when sores are getting ready to come again? Also, has anyone done a cleanse or serious diet alteration that led to remission and no recurrance? What is the best way to boost immunity that you have found? Thanks appreciate everyone's input on this site - been the only place I have found that is helpful! 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am currently doing the following:

- tea tree toothpaste

- tea tree lip balm

- high dose probiotic gargles and swallow

- Host Defense mushrooms

-aloe vera liquid

- zinc tablets

-Spry mouth spray and mints

I think mine was caused by 2 steroid shots in my spine in December for a neck issue, so am very leary of steroids and more anti-inflammatories, then did 3 rounds of antibiotics for a persistent sinus infection. drugs, drugs and more drugs. = killed my immunity. Clearly just my own assumptions as docs/dentists say .... stress. I like the theory of a candida relation as well. 

• Posted

I've had Lichen Planus since July 2008 and the only thing that has stopped the sores is taking 6000 units of Vitamin D each day.  I take 3000 with breakfast and 3000 with dinner.  Since doing this last summer, the sores have stayed away.  Please give it a try.  It's an auto immune disorder and Vitamin D strengthens our auto immune system.
  • Posted

My Lichen Planus was diagnosed in Feb 2013.My whole body is covered in the typical discolorations and bumps.Told it has to run its course.Im still suffering with new ones appearing!I've given up on antihistamines,steroid creams and tablets and phototherapy.More research is needed for this condition!DEFINITELY!!

• Posted

The only product that controls my Oral Lichen Planus is Triamcinolone Dental Paste, unfortunately it is not available from most pharmacies, and has to be prescribed by the GP, but I get it every month from my doctor, and then it is posted to me from Hard To Find Medicines, who get it for me. If I stop using it for more than a week it flares up again. I was given a mouthwash, but that didn't work, the paste is great, as it sticks really well to the inside of the mouth.
  • Posted

After my post, I left for 9 days in Costa Rica, not a single symptom of it while I was gone - ate and drank what I wanted etc.. stopped taking all but the zinc and pill form probiotic. We'll see what happens now that I am back home and not hanging out in paradise smile
    • Posted

Very interesting. I was the same on vacation . All symptoms went when I was in the sun. 
    • Posted

Yes it was instant! Took an overnight flight and by the end of the first day all symptoms were gone. I didn't have sores at the time but still a lot of swelling etc. which went away and zero issue in my mouth outside of the white lines. That settles it, we need to move there ha! 
  • Posted

I'm guessing your symptoms went away while you were in Costa Rica because you got some Vitamin D via the sunny weather?  I take 6000 units of Vitamin D every day and the sores have not come back.  I've been doing this for about a year now after suffering for 5 years.  I really credit the Vitamin D because it boosts our immune system and Lychen Planus is an auto immune disorder.
    • Posted

YES I thought of you and your advice and I think you are correct, and also the humidity there likely helped with the dry mouth. I live in Denver, CO so very dry here which I think doesn't help the symptoms. 
    • Posted

I hope the Vitamin D works for you.  I live in California where it is also dry. Good luck!
  • Posted

Avoid tomatoes and any tomato based sauces. Also strawberries, rasps, blueberries and pineapple . Anything acidic really. I also find chocolate seems to aggravate it . Possible anything really sugary is bad for it. Best toothpaste is Squigle which you can buy online . Very soothing.
  • Posted

Hi Kerry

If you go to the Lichen Sclerosus forum and look for the discussion "New ideas - prolonged fasting" you will find information about the fasting approach to rejuvenating one's immune system. It might help you.

• Posted

The only product that I know can control Oral Lichen Planus effectively are Corticosteroids, which do not "Cure" the condition, but do suppress and control it. Soluble prednisolone or betamethasone tablets used as a mouthwash are often used (the cheapest option for NHS) more effective is Triamcinolone Oral Paste previously known as Adcortyl in Orabase, which will actually adhere to the lesions and produce a longer effect, plus there is probably a lower amount of systemic absorbtion and side effects from the paste. Triamcinolone Oral Paste is available from Hard To Find Medicines on NHS prescription. It is only available on prescription, it cannot be purchased. (Adcortyl in Orabase had a small OTC product available, but this has been discontinued, and the only available product is POM) So you will need to obtain a precription from your GP... I hope this info is of assistance. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Oddly enough, no symptoms since this last post and at the exact same time as last year my mouth is starting to flare again sad I believe my extreme seasonal allergies are to blame for this - they came on strong a week ago, I ate pineapple which I NEVER eat and salty chips the same day - that combined with severe drainage from my allergies has me stressing that the lesions are coming back. 

I went to an allergist today, who looked at me like I was crazy when I said I think it is related to my OLP, but am starting 2 nasal sprays to try to get the allergies back under control. Now I am worried because one has steroids and I worry about taking a lot of meds with this disease. Anyone else find any connections with their allergies? I am not feeling prepared to go through this again! I had put it out of my mind for the past year. 

• Posted

Hi Kerry, Next time do not tell the allergist you think, instead tell him you know the allergies caused the LP to flare up. I am positive that allergies has a big role in triggering it, as well as stress and I suspect fungal in the body. Doctors cannot help us, therefore we have to monitor our LP friend’s experiences in order to get the answers for our questions. Please monitor the seasonal allergies and the flair up, specialy next season and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.