Oral Lichen Planus - the start

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all, I can pinpoint exactly what started my Oral LP.  I decided to start using Benecol Yorgurt to reduce my cholesterol level.  Within 10 mins my mouth felt hot.  After an hour it felt sore.  I decided not to take any more.  My hubby had the rest with no problems!   Within 3 days the roof of my mouth felt sore.  Then I got striata on my inner cheeks and tongue.  I though it was oral thrush.  The thrush treatment increased the problem overnight.    I started using salt gargles and anti-bac mouth washes.  They reduced the problem but it still hadn't cleared two weeks later.   I ate only soft foods as roof of mouth and cheeks were so sore.   Yesterday I went to my dentist who diagnosed Oral LP.   When I found the full information on OLP I was so shocked.   Now I am so pleased to have found this forum.  Pleased to see how active and helpful everyone is being.   I am learning a lot from the postings already.   Still feeling shocked and a little sad at the moment.  But hope to get my act together and make a start on controlling my problem rather it controlling me soon.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sure if fillings were the cause. I first noticed the first sore after getting a crown. Then I had some veneers put on and had sores around there. They come and go depending on what I eat. Usually acidic or very spicy foods. A dexamethasone rinse helps a lot. It was prescribed by my periodontist. Also rinsing with peppermint essential oil in water after eating these foods helps. 
    • Posted

Hi Molly,  I too think my problem started with having a crown fitted now.  I think the yogurt drink simply highlighted the problem 2 weeks afterwards.  Oh well!   Thanks for the advice re dexamethasone.  I will ask about it.    I did find a medical research site on line (just tried to find it again to attach the link but no luck)  It listed all the current 'treatments' for OLP and asked 1,500 sufferers to list in order the most effective.  The number one (62% of vote) was for salt + water (saline) mouthwashes.  Funnily enough I had already being doing these and did find them most helpful.     I do hope your problem clears up.  It sounds as if it is intermittent now???    Mine is just exactly the same but it is 'early' days and hopefully in a few weeks..............take care, Anne.

• Posted

Yes it is intermittent for now. Another note. When I first started using dexamethasone, I had to use it for times a day for four weeks. This resulted in a very very dry throat. Just a precautionary advice. However, now I just use it once or twice a day during an outbreak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.