ORAL LICHEN PLANUS - Tonsil stones in glands

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have OLP. I put it down to dental work I had done because it started immediately after. However, about 6 months ago, following a panoramic Dental X-Ray (cost £18 in Spain) I discovered I had 'tonsil stones' in my parotid glands.

I just wondered if anyone else had them - was this a connection to OLP?

We were in Spain for long winter holiday and thought I would check out how dentists treated OLP in that country. Answer: They don't. The dentist said he'd never seen it before and called in 2 colleagues to look! But I did have parotid gland issues. He suggested that the calcifying debris in my glands could be causing it. But then he shrugged (as they do) and said, sorry. I can't help you at all.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've seen people post on here saying the filling used in teeth have been the trigger for LP and when removed and replace with a different type of filling the oral LP when away

• Posted

Yes, same for my sister too.

I think the Gov/NHS would never admit to the connection though...think about the repercusions for the NHS not just in costs of replacements for sufferers - but all those millions out there who would demand - and be entitled - to have their fillings replaced.

• Posted

Dentists in the USA usually aren't familiar with OLP. A dermatologist is the doc to see.

Definitely seek help as OLP can cause cancer. it is an Auto Immune illnesses. More than likely your trip to dentist and your OLP were incidental. Giving up Nightshade plants may greatly calm your oral inflammation, but it will take 3 months of not eating them to see results. it helped me keep mine calm. now when i eat a fresh tomato my mouth will flare in a couple of hours. i also take doxycycline hyc 20 mg 2x a day to help control it. there are also steroid gels available, along with alcohol free prescription mouthwashes, which may also help with those tonsil stones you mentioned. those are common. to help with those drink half your weight in water every day (which you should be doing anyway), brush and floss 3x day, gargle vigorously with mouthwash. should help.

google research your issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.