Oral lichen planus worries

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im 38 and have had oral lichen planus for 20 years. i dont often get much pain other than the odd ulcer. i saw a dentist today i have not sern before who terrified me as he said my cheek 'didnt look normal' and he ' didnt like the look of it' but failed to say what he thought it was or how quickly i ought to be seen by max fax. he said ' well if you have been told its lichen planus it probably is' and was a bit odd about it. what i have is a red area with white patches in/around it. inside my cheek at the back. i know about the malignant potential of it but hes worried me as most times dentist confirms its lichen planus and says no more. i dont know if dentist is inexperienced with it or i should be v worried. im very anxious and seeing if anyone had similar and been ok.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise, are you seeing a consultant for review of your OLP? If not I would get a referral to one, it's very important to have regular monitoring

• Posted

yes. i went to see max fax. said it looks like LP and to monitor. funnily enough he sent me away to monitor/wasnt concerned but ive

just seen another dentist who also panicked! wonder if they just dont see erosive type much but its not nice to get such a reaction anyway!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.