Oral sedation before MRI

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has any one had sedation before MRI as a very anxious person I have been offered this option as I don't think I will be able to go through with it,

would love to hear from any one who has

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

With sedation you will be fine. You will feel sleepy and relaxed. The procedure doesn't take long.

You can even choose what type of music you want to listen to. They can get you out on seconds if you panic, but I doubt you will.

They can talk to you while you are going through the MRI.

You didn't say which part the MRI is for?

Which part? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Linda, it's for the brain after my recent stroke, I suffer bad with anxiety any way, when they told me I had to have one I panicked so much I thought my tongue was going to slip back down my throat and felt I was going to choke, and faint, OMG what a state to get in, 😳, does it totally relax you 
    • Posted

Good news!! Only your head will be in the scan. I had a stroke on the left temporal side so know what you are going through.

You will be fine, honest, when is it?

I will be thinking of you and cyber holding your hand.

With love, Linda xxx

• Posted

Ah thanks Linda, it's on the 19th of December at 12, how did you get on with yours, are you ok now xx
    • Posted

Yes I am fine, no after effects at,all so I am lucky.

If you feel no after effects now, you will not receive any after your stroke.

Its my brother in laws birthday 🎂.

I will sincerely be thinking of you and if you want you can private message me by clicking on the envelope next to my name.

With love, Linda xx

• Posted

Hi there, I have had 6 MRI scans, due to a disc herniation in my spine, and 2 of them where because I had a ? TIA, I had no sedation for mine, but it does not bother me, but if you are worried, I would definetley have sedation, as this will relax you and you will feel fine.

All the best with the scan, and here;s to a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Gavin, think I will opt for the sedation, Dreading it lol, 
  • Posted

They gave me a buzzer to hold and it took approx 5 mins tops.

The worst part was my fat botty just fitted the beam ha ha

You'll be fine trust me xx

Good luck

Win xx

• Posted

Haha Winnie, did you have the buzzer as well as sedation, why did you have a buzzer couldn't you talk xxx
  • Posted

Buzzer was for reassurance Karen,

I never had it/oral sedation as I wanted to go to Cafe afterwards and my tum rules my head

Good Luck and you'll be okay xx Now say after me "Relax I am fine"

• Posted

Did it work lol xx

Honest you'll be fine.  Say after me "I'll be hunky dory nothing can harm

me as I am invincible"   ha ha xxxxxxxxx (made myself laugh)

Then have a cake and cuppa afterwards xx

• Posted

I will take all your advice Winnie haha, you are funny xxx
    • Posted

You will be okay as I was worried also as it's not knowing xx

All it does is go clunk clonk then stops, then again and you lay there thinking "hurry up you lot" while holding buzzer.

As I said the buzzer is in case !! Now do not be scared as I was but not anymore. 

Whats your fav song ?  sing it xx not out loud though lol 

love

Win xxxx

• Posted

Ok I will sing to myself lol, did you have it on your brain or else where, I don't know why I'm so scared, lol, I've sen them on casualty etc, and thought to my self, god I would never go in one of those, little did I know, Bloody stroke xxx
    • Posted

I had an SAH ie brain anni/stroke. 2009 out of it until 2010 an I had shunt fitted for hydrocephelus

I was so scared a few months back well about a year lol as I had a swelling at temples and they had to do a CRI scan (is that the doughnut one) ? I don't know lol..anyway all was okay and still got swollen temples.  Since then the OT's said I wouldn't walk again but I can walk 

approx 60/100 yards.  My back hurts after that.

So what stroke did you have ?

Win xxx

• Posted

Oh win, you've had a bit of experience then... I'm not sure they are treating it as a TIA  as it showed on my donut scan! as you call it lol, But they want to do a MRI to confirm it! also a echocardiogram for fast heart beat! I'm thinking that's due from being anxious! What I wonder is unless it's the small minority on here, that once you have one TIA you have more! thought the medication prevented more occurrences , and it was a warning! other wise you keep thinking your going to have one every time you twitch  xxx
    • Posted

As a rule of thumb, but not neccesarily, TIA is a sign of an impending stroke, it can mean day(s) away,week(s) or month(s) away ...but it is not uncommon to have several TIA's before the bad one
    • Posted

Ooh er not really what I wanted to hear, now I feel like I've got at ticking time bomb,.... 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.