Oral sedation before MRI

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has any one had sedation before MRI as a very anxious person I have been offered this option as I don't think I will be able to go through with it,

would love to hear from any one who has

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

I am claustophobic and I was offered oral sedation by the doctor to have an MRI but it did not work, So  a decision was made to use an IV sedation stronger than oral "supposedly" but there was in fighting between the doctors because of my other health condition, the head doctor of neurology told the doctor treating me for my TIA that he wants an anethatist present whilst an IV sedation was going but the other doctor said no he would be present if anything went wrong.....in the end it never happened and was just diagnosed with a TIA as the symptoms all fell into place....I've since had 2 more of these warnings and there was a new head of neurology and he just put it down to a migraine headache...mind you I have never suffered migraines at all in my entire life, it is possible to develop them later in life but I don't believe they were migraines, I have in laws that suffer migraines and they tell me they can "usually"  tell when they are coming and they don't get the other TIA symptoms...

So if it happens again I don't know what they are going to do ...CT Scan has shown up normal ....

• Posted

Oh dear, that's not good especially as you had two more episodes, were you mo medication after the first one, which should of prevented the next ones, Shame you couldn't have had the MRI as it would of shed some light on it maybe .. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen,

Yes our health system here has a lot to be desired for, it's just falling apart where I am, But I suppose you will get in hospital doctor feuds all the time regardless of where in the world you are smile

I was put on Clopidigrel  (Plavix) they wanted me to take a statin as well but I can't tolerate any statins even on the lowest possible doses so was just Plavix

• Posted

Well had it done yet Karen?  Noooo tomorrow week !!

Have you decided to have a song and a snooze oh and buzzer

or are you taking a pill?  Whatever happens may

all go well xx  xx

• Posted

I'm going for the chill pill I think Winnie, than a song and dance when it's over, yes next Friday xxx
  • Posted

Okay then can I have your cake and coffee as you might not fancy it xx

Might have a nice pie !!  blow the diet.

Cheers and good luck for Friday week xx xx

• Posted

Remember you only  hear doom n gloom so do not read too much into it.

Head up shoulders back now whistle xx

• Posted

Yeah you can have my cake, no I'll ignore the doom and gloom xxx
  • Posted

Yes that's what I put. ha ha

Did I tell you I used to get panic attacks so I always carried mints with me and

a bottle of water  to help me with swallowing. 

Thought I'd inform you of that fact. zzz boring arent I.  (no need to reply to that lol)  

Keep Well

Win xx xx

• Posted

Ah win, my worst panicking thing is swallowing, I have a nite mare with it, always think I'm going to choke, even on rice, Get. A Life xx
    • Posted

I know Karen, my Daughter has got so bad she panics she she doesn't

eat out.  I took her to Docs and the Doc was kind she said "look while you have been talking to me you are breathing" she talked to her more and tested her chest.  She told her it is in her mind but she knew it felt real to her.  She never pooed pooed my daughter and my daughter came out all happy knowing she was okay.  Nerves I guess.

Be Well

Win xxx

• Posted

Yes it's a horrible thing, I eat and then just as I've started to swallow I think oh no that's not going to go down, some days it's ok, but I also have dystonia which requires Botox in my neck that affects the swallowing, once the doc put a bit extra in because I said it wore off a bit quick, Mistake!!, it made it worse and I couldn't even swallow scrambled egg, lol,I know crusty bread etc isn't good so I avoid most stuff if I think it could get stuck, it's a nitemare, your por daughter do feel for her xxx
    • Posted

Horrible for you and my Daughter but there's always her Mum to lend a

helping hand and tut ! I eat it for her and I wonder why I am a fat old

biddy. Ha Ha ... I feel for you both xx

xx xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.