Oral thrush

Posted , 3 users are following.

We have had a bit of a hard time recently. My husband had his first session of his second line chemo following a year's remission when the cancer recurred in tge same place. He then spent a week in hospital with a chest infection due to neutropenic sepsis. He returned home and now has oral thrush. One thing after another right now. I also have been unwell with a chest infection so am not really coping that well with this whole scenario. I know that thrush can occur when you have been on antibiotics and chemo. Anyone have any miracle cures for thrush? He is due chemo on monday as his bloods have recovered. Will this prevent chemo? Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It can be quite distressing.   I remember having it in hospital and having some stuff that I would put on to the roof of my mouth but I cannot remember the name of it.

?There are some tips on thrush also towards the end of the booklet 'A Patient's Guide to Achalasia' that you can download from the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under The oesophagus and then under Achalasia, but this is really a list of food to avoid, especially yeast, and I suspect that your husband might get quicker results from some prescribed medication.

?I have a feeling that it may develop / be made worse when you have not been drinking and things do not get flushed through in the same way.

I cannot see why it should prevent the chemo taking place but it is the medical staff who will best be able to tell you

• Posted

Hi Lesley.Nystatin is very good for oral thrush.Hope hubby is ok and you are ok.

My hubby still in the hospice and has become very agitated. They have upped the midazolam and morphine, but his not with it at all. His become delicious and is coming out with all sorts of weird things. His twitchy all the time and picks at the sheets. It's so very sad to see him like this, and he certainly wouldn't want to be like this. They offered me councilling yesterday but I really don't want that atm. He spiked a temperature last night 38.9 which I think is due to sepsis. The plan now is too keep him comfortable and pain free, which they are doing. Hope your both doing ok and I'm thinking of you x

• Posted

Dear Tina

?It is such a difficult time isn't it!   Being comfortable and pain-free are the most important things.   I am sure he would not want this (non-) quality of life;  but the hospices are usually the best at keeping the medication in balance, and they are indeed there for you as well of course.

?All best wishes to you both.

Alan

• Posted

Thankyou Alan for your thoughtful words, and how right you are about the hospice. The staff do an amazing job and my husband is recieving the best care. I'm just so thankful they are experts in pain control and nothing is too much trouble.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.