Oral thrush symptoms but tested negative and resistant to treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from oral-thrush like symptoms for over two months (white tongue, cottony feeling in mouth and throat) although it has proven resistant to treatment (Nystatin oral suspension and Clotrimazole 50mg: two 1 week course and one 2 week course) and ultimately a swab came back negative. I have been referred to my local dental hospital for further investigation but a referral could take months and possibly over a year. Has anyone had experience of something similar. As a side note I maintain good oral hygiene, including tongue.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I have also had ongoing problems, although my symptoms are different. I have a large, very sore red patch on my tongue that has been there since March (so currently for 4 months). My GP was completely dismissive but my dentist was concerned and has referred me to oral surgery, but the wait is at least 38 weeks. I went on holiday to France and was in such discomfort I went to see a doctor there. She prescribed Nystatin (didn't make any difference) and then Fluconazole, which I only started on Monday. She was horrified that no one over here was helping me and said they should be doing blood tests for vitamin and iron deficiencies and also diabetes. I'm going to have to go back to my GP, although I'm scared of him and I don't think he will help me. I hope that we both find answers and get better soon x

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your own experience and that you're scared of your GP. 38 weeks is a long time to wait. I've been told that it could be 7 months and I'm not comforted by the fact that those who were referred way back last September are only being contacted now. Is there another doctor you can see in your practice? I did have blood tests which came back fine and I was tested for diabetes due to the concern that it was thrush. I also have a much increased thirst and believe that it is related to whatever it is I have on my tongue etc.

Fingers crossed re: the fluconazole.

• Posted

If they are making you wait a while for the appointment, it usually means it isnt a big deal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.