orange discharge

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have never had orange discharge before. what causes orange discharge/ spotting?? is it most likely something sti related or non sexual? please help this is not normal for me

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi emily,

You'll need to share more details if you want us to help you:

1. How old are you?
    2. Have you been sexually active recently? If so, when?
    3. Does your partner have any symptoms?
    4. What form of contraception are you taking, if any?
    5. When was your last period in relation to your current symptoms?
    6. Are your periods regular or irregular?
    7. Did the symptoms start after sex (i.e. post-coital bleeding)?
    8. Any abdominal pain or pain passing urine?

Tnx,

Adhari.

• Posted

Dear Adhari,

I am 18 years old and i am sexually active. The last time I had sex was 2 months ago about. I have had a period after I have had sex. My periods are normally regular, sometimes a few days late but that is all. I am on no medication or birth control at all. I am really nervous because spotting/ orange discharge is not normal at all for me. and I have not had any abdominal pain. To be honest, I was masturbating before and right after (when i went to use the bathroom) it came out. I don't know if that helps in any way. I am really scared in case if is an STD. But I dont think symptoms normally come this late anyway. What do you think it could be?

• Posted

Hi emily,

Thank you for the details. When you were masturbating, did you put your finger/fingers inside the vagina? Maybe you were a little too vigorous and accidentally cut yourself (inside the vagina) or irritated the neck of the womb (cervix). Either of these situations may have led to a little bleeding/spotting that you've now noticed.

Orange is pretty descriptive but I've not seen this colouration in vaginal discharge before. Pink, blood red, brownish, rusty brown, yellow, green, gray are more common descriptors. Any of these apply to you?

BTW, in relation to your discharge appearing, where are/were you in your current menstrual cycle (what day out of 28)? I ask because there is a normal phenomenon known as ovulation spotting that can occur in mid-cycle in some women.

Thanks,

Adhari

• Posted

Dear Adhari,

I am supposed to get my period in one week. I dont know if this helps but I found a photo on Google similar to what my discharge looked like. It looked like this. image

• Posted

Thanks Emily,

My feeling is that it was altered blood you witnessed. What I've written in the earlier post still holds, except that if you are due your period in a week's time it's less likely to be ovulation (i.e. mid-cycle/day 14) spotting.

BW,

Adhari.

• Posted

what is altered blood? also- so you do not believe the blood is a symptom of a std or an underlying problem?

• Posted

Dear Emily,

Altered blood = what happens to blood when it has been subjected to vaginal germs (healthy lactobacilli, etc) breaking it down. It looks much darker than fresh blood.

Bleeding can be a symptom of STD, for example if the neck of the womb (cervix) is infected with gonorrhoea and/or chlamydia it gets become quite inflamed. So during sex, when the penis touches or bangs against the inflamed surface it may start to bleed. I know that your symptoms started after masturbating, not sex. But if this bleeding is a new problem and you've started a relationship with a new partner, it would probably be a good idea to get screened for STDs.

BW,

Adhari

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.