Oribital Decompression Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have graves disease and the most  obvious is my potruding, watery, itchy dry eyes. I'm scheduled for orbital decompression surgery on February 1st. Has anyone had this surgery? What should I expect? Any tips on preparing for this surgery?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had the surgery done on my left eye in June of 2016.  I refused the steriod and radiation option so the only one left was surgery.  I was losing colour site due to the compression on the nerve.  Since the surgery which went well with no complications....I've had trouble with double vision.  I will now need surgery to correct the double vision which is scheduled for sometime in Feb 2017.  I'll keep you posted on that.  Other than the double vision the left eye is now back to almost normal....all colour restored and no bulging or redness.  Nothing to prepare for the surgery....just make sure you rest about a week after to help in the healing.  Good luck!

• Posted

Very nervous. Thanks for your insight. I'll be sure to post after surgery.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I have had orbital decompression (Feb 2015) on both eyes. It was not as bad as I had anticipated - I was very scared. I had had all the early treatments - intravenous steriods, radiotherapy on eye sockets and oral steroids. After two years I was left with dry itchy, staring eyes, double vision, eyes that moved very little and high pressure. I went to Moorfields eye hospital in London and had both eyes done at once. On waking from the operation both eyes were bandaged tightly shut so that was a little frightening. I stayed overnight and then had to eat my breakfast without any vision. The bandages were removed about 10 hours after the op (most of that was night time) and I went home with antibiotic drops for five days and eyed drops to be applied four hourly. I looked as though I had been in a battle for a week, but that was about all. Eyes were sore and uncomfortable but not great pain.  I realised straight away that the pressure had eased and my eyes were able to move more. 90% of my double vision had gone too. I was still a little staring, but eyelid (Feb 2016) sorted that out and I look much like I did in early 2013. Oh I couldn't open my jaw very far after the op., so had to eat smaller forkfulls of food but jaw opening returned to normal gradually over 3/4 months. I also had and still have 'vision wobble' when I eat. this is a standard side effect I think. Every time I chew/bite down hard my vision goes double for just a second. It still happens when I bite hard but I'm so used to it now I don't notice it. I take care not to eat when I am driving!!!

I still have a small area of double vision if I look high up and to my right, but I am clear to drive again.

I also have very dry eyes and will probably have to use eye drops for the rest of my life... still it wasn't the decompression that caused that. 

All in all the decompression went well and along with the eyelid lowering afterwards I am lucky and look okay.

Good Luck

Vicky

• Posted

I think the part that scares me the most is having both of my eyes bandaged and not being able to see.  Hopefully I'll be well medicated and will sleep alot until I can remove the bandages.  Thanks for the insight. It doesnt seem as bad as I thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.