Oriencia and methotrexate

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, are some of you all that are taking Oriencia also taking Methotrexate and has your doctor told you that when you are on a biologic that you have to take the methotrexate?  I saw the doctor yesterday and was told by the PA that I had to take it with ORIENCIA.  My opinion, what it's worth, I am not sure.  Thanks, Jo

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am to start Cimzia biologic.   My rheumatologist said to stop MTX but when I was on Humira he said take MTX too.    I honestly don't think they know which is the right way to do it.  The pharmacist told me that taking the two together increases your chance of any infection

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I'm on 20mg MTX and have also been on Cimzia for about a year too. Luckily I have no problems with either one. I've not had any infections either. Not sure why you have been told to stop MTX. Unfortunately we are all react differently with this disease and it must be hard for the Rheumatologists to find the right mix for each of us. Hope it all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Jo, i take Orencia and no mtx. I tried mtx and just didnt agree with me either tablet or injection. I was told to take it with Toxilimab but didnt and it still worked for about 18 months. Now I take Orencia on its own and its working fine. I have had a few cold sores and one chest infection but mostly I ve been well.
  • Posted

What to take is based on your inflamation levels.   In my case, MTX did not lower the inflamation levels so I dropped the MTX and started on cimzia.   So MTX didn't work, neither did hydroxychloroquine, sulphasalazine, leflunomide, cimzia or arava. I'm now on cosentyx and when I asked if I should also take MTX my Rheumatologist said there was no point.

• Posted

thanks Tony, interesting about how different doctors do things. I'm not sure about mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.