Oriencia with MTX

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to get off the MTX but my doctor told me that when taking Oriencia ( Abatacept) and MTX together that it makes Oriencia work better.  Has anybody's doctor told them this and also who is on Oriencia and not talking MTX? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I use both. This is my second round of it. I did it first as infusions, and it worked! I felt good- just ended up with too many infections. 

But im back on it, because I am hardly working, and doing it with the Clickjest- at home injections. 

Still waiting. . . . But your doctor is probably right. 

Good luck just remember, everything doesn't work for everyone, it took 6 months for ie too work the first time, and I did Rituxan for 6 months -- and no help at all. 

• Posted

I was told the same thing, but my liver values kept going up so I stopped the MTX.  Now I also stopped the Orencia, because I hardly have joint pain, but do have finger/hand deformities that were supposed to be from RA.  I might go back on Orencia, but I want to see if I really need it.
  • Posted

I have not been on Orencia but I'm on Actemra and 20mg of MTX. Since taking the Actemra I've felt much better with hardly any pain. I just saw my rheumatologist and She has asked me to stop the MTX because of liver problems but says Actemra will work without it. I hope this is true as I really hate MTX. Hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

I don't take mtx as it increased my liver function (as did all the others) - it was my 1st med, Abatacept is my 7th and self injections - currently I have only taken it for 2 months and have been advised it can take months as it's very slow and doesn't go through the liver which I have to watch for

• Posted

Hi Jo, I was on a biologic (Benepali) and methotrexate which controlled my symptoms well. However, I had to stop methotrexate due to lung fibrosis and also the Benepali due to underlying chest infections. I took prednisolone to control my symptoms in the meantime. I have now restarted the Benepali and I'm reducing the prednisolone. I have said I won't go back on the Methotrexate. The lung problem has been scary and seemed to progress quickly though now improving. As I reduce my prednisolone I am increasingly aware of my joint symptoms. I don't know how I'll cope reducing my steroids further but I won't go back on the methotrexate.This is just my experience though. As everyone keeps saying we are all different. I do understand your concern with these meds. They are pretty toxic but as with most meds it's a risk / benefit decision. Good luck. Carol x

• Posted

Hi carol, thanks for answering. Could or would you tell me what symptoms you had with the MTX and the lung fibrosis and how it was diagnosed and treated. Wishing you the best with your treatment. Jo
    • Posted

Hi Jo, of  course, I had a 'silly' cough to start with about Jan 2016.  I would perhaps thought it was a

'habit' if I had heard it on someone else! But I knew it was real even though my chest was 'clear' and nothing showed on x ray. I had also had a nasty chest infection and lots of antibiotics but the 'silly' cough had started before and persisted after the chest infection. I spoke to a respiratory nurse friend and to cut a long story short a CT lung scan showed some fibrosis. This was about June 2016. It was unclear if it was due to the methotrexate or the chest infection I'd had. 6 months later, Jan this year, CT scan showed significant deterioration. I was coughing a lot more but not 'productive' I was becoming increasingly breathless. My methotrexate was stopped there and then by the respiratory consultant with a plan for a bronchoscopy to look if there was any underlying infection. There was so I had to stop my Benepali as well. I wasn't to resume it till I had negative sputums. Difficult when you're not coughing anything up! Anyway, 4 more lots of antibiotics later and steroids for both the chest and joints, I restarted the Benepali and I'm now down to 7.5mgs prednisolone and paracetamol if needed. So far, not too bad. Don't know how I'll be when I reduce it more but I won't restart the Methotrexate. It frightened me. My latest CT lung is showing improvement and my cough loads better. Yeah!!!  My respiratory consultant , said the fibrosis could have been due to the methotrexate or a combination of it with the infection. I also had lung function tests which have provided supporting information. I am just so glad I pursued it. I knew I 'wasn't right.' All consultants have been brilliant, they communicated with each other, the radiologist and me. I am so grateful to them and our amazing NHS. Hope I've not bored you rigid! Carol x

• Posted

Ht Carol, thank you so much for the information. It seems that when Itake my MTX I do an extremely small amount of coughing, not coughing constantly, just a little here and there and then after about 3 days it stops. I was wondering if the MTX was causing it, hmm, I think I will pay closer attention.  Sounds like u are on the mend and you will be able to get off the Pred.  I was on Pred. for 4 years and finally got off, hope I don't have to take it again. Take care, jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.