ORIF ankle surgery rehab

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!!

On October 23rd I fractured my fibula doing a cheerleading stunt. Went to the ER where they took xrays, casted me, and told me to follow up with orthopedics. Orthopedics decided I would need ORIF surgery to correct the break but wanted my swelling to go down a little. I had surgery on October 31st at 5 am (GREAT way to spend Halloween!!). I was in extreme pain when I woke up from anesthesia and received a nerve block (which did not help me much at all), 3 doses of fentanyl, and 2 percocets. First couple days sucked and since then I've had good and bad days. At my two-week post-op appointment my doctor was super impressed with the healing so far and I was put into an aircast that is removable. I was told non weight bearing for at least four more weeks until my next follow up appointment.

imageMY MAIN QUESTION- How has recovery gone for everyone else? Honestly, before my 2 2 week follow up appointment, I had already kind of started walking on my cast (after much research and making sure it wasn't painful). I have still been weight bearing in my air cast and it feels good and my range of motion is improving. I am pushing to be able to compete at UCA College Cheer Nationals in mid-January. I'm hoping someone has a similar story and was able to be fully functional within 3 months of injury (long shot I know!). Any help or advice is appreciated!! I've attached pictures for reference!!imageimage image

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes there are conflicting studies, but your own doctor said don't do it. Weight bear or not, your bone does not miraculously heal in a few weeks, it's a process. Have you read about those who have nonunion fractures, I've seen them in this forum. 6 weeks vs. months on end, it's a risk that some of us didn't want to take despite being antsy to get going. No one can say you will or won't be ok, but I guess you have to put faith in your doctor that you are being guided properly. Doesn't sound like you are listening anyhow lol. My doc said DON'T YOU DARE! I didn't, it healed, still hurts 8 months later, but I can walk! 😃 Mine is actually still swollen, frustrating, but surgeon said it will be about one year until it feels better - can't wait for that! Honestly just by looking at your ankle, it looks far less swollen than mine is still - we are all so different. Good luck, be careful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.