orif ankle surgery ,sever pain after cast removal,using walking boot and weight barring. unreal pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i am 35yrs old , i broke my left ankle completely. i fell for no reason, anyway. i had pain before surgery, after surgery. they had to put steel plates on the side of my ankle and many screws to hold in place. i was on pain meds which helped alot, but after they removed my cast , i was told the pain will minamize and to start weight barring. the pain was a 10 out of 10 the next 2 days after cast removal. i have been using one crutch as requested by doc. it feels like the steel plates are literally coming out of my ankle, a shooting pain that goes accross my upper ankle right to left, sharp aching pain in my heel, behind the 2 bones that burns ,pain will start from mid calf down threw, lower leg behind my foot straight threw heel to middle of foot rite to my toes.extreme preasure in my hole ankle down threw heel. is this normal? he had me on oxycodone 10/325 6 a day . now he changed it to 7.5 hydrocodone 1 tablet every 6 hours. its not helping. the pain comes back harder then before taking medicine about 4 hours later. i have to take 5 a day with ibprofen and ice. Is there anyone else going threw this? Does anyone have any tips for me to tell my docter? i have a huge pain tolerance level, i hate doctoers and hospitals. had open heart surgery, went threw septic shock, full life support, coma with 13% survival rate, had stomach opened up twice, learned to walk again, lost my hair. this took place 6 years ago. open heart surgery a little over a year ago. i can take pain but i shouldnt have to suffer. i feel like maybe he doesnt believe me and its not rite. broke right foot 4 yrs ago fell for no reason, this is the second time and its not normal but no bone test until ankle heels. what do i say? what do i do? this is real and if anyone completely broke there ankle knows the pain is real. Can anyone hlp me or even purhapes give me advice from your experence? how did you feel? what problems did you have? anything is better then nothing. thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melody,

That sounds awful! I broke mine July 6th and and surgury 5 1/2 weeks ago and I do not have that kind of pain. I know everybody heals differentlyhowever that sounds extreme. I hope it gets better for yoy soon! How long has it been since your surgury? Did you also injure your ligaments or just bone fractures?

• Posted

OMG!  Melody, after reading everything you wrote, I just want to offer you a ((((hug))).  I am so sorry you're going through so much pain!  You have been through the ringer.  I honestly can't imagine, how you must feel.  I hope you can get some answwers and some much needed pain relief, soon!!  Thinking of you!

Beth

• Posted

My specs are pretty much just like yours. I'm 35, ORIF on left ankle on 8/1 with 12 screws and a plate. I've been out of the cast and in the walking boot for one week and I've been partial WB on two crutches for the past four days or so. I take tramadol for pain and also duexis, which is ibuprofen. I'm pretty much never in any significant pain. My foot feels weird and tender, but certainly not 10/10 pain. I have only "felt" the plate once and it was a weird, slightly painful feeling where I know the plate is. It did scare me. I would say your experience is abnormal and I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I really hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

Hey Melody

Im so sorry to hear about all the pain that you having. I dont have much pain at all i broke my right ankle had to get plates and screws.after surgery i had pain for a day a two the pain i have now is mild.I think you should go back to the doctor because this is not right.i hope u feel better

• Posted

Hi Melody,

Sounds like your hands are quite full right now. I am so sorry to hear about yout pain. The doctors really have no idea how much we suffer. And because we suffer new problems come up such as anxiety and depression. Then our pain becomes a diagnosis in itself. It becomes its own monster.

I wish you well. I also wish i can help folks like yourself. You need an army of good, wise soldiers for this journey. Or maybe not !!!

Many blessings!

Theresa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.