ORIF following non-union of fractured lateral malleolus.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my L ankle in May 2014, this happened when I went over in a pothole, I was wearing my work boots at the time and it was an outward rolling motion...... I heard the crack. I was taken to my local A & E where I was X-Ray'd told I had fracture bottom of fibula, was given an air splint, and crutches, told not to weight bare for six weeks and was expected to return following 6 week period to be X-ray'd to confirm 'normal' healing had taken place. However as 6 weeks was coming to an end was still in a lot of pain and suffering from restricted movement ie. cannot push knee over ankle eg, try and squat, my X-ray after 6 weeks confirmed that bone hadn't knit, was told attend physio and fracture would be mointered over the coming months. During this 6 month period I regularly attended physio, with the hope of regaining as much movement as possible, however I never manged to acheive this. 6 Months post accident and pain was still present and movement restricted. Was told in November 2014 that I had a non union and as nothing had happened over 6 months, I would need screws, plates and a bone graft to mend fracture as this is the only way it would heal. Following surgery I had a cast on for 7 weeks and was told not to weight bare for the first 3 weeks. I have had my cast off and still have the same feeling of restricted movement. I am due to start physio soon, but fear as I am now 8 months post accident that I will never regain FULL movement, and wonder if something has been overlooked ie. ligament damage as no matter how hard I push myself to move my ankle/leg in that way it feels like there is a bolt going through my ankle and I get a shooting pain up the front of my leg at the 90 degree angle where the top of my foot meets the bottom of my leg. I am just wondering if anyone else has sustained the same injury as myself, suffered from a delayed union, and/or has restricted movement like I havd explained. Would be great to hear other peoples stories/views.

Thanx for reading.

Darren

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darren ask the hospital for an MrI as XRays cannot show all the damage my ankle ligament damage wasnt shown till i had an MRI hope you get the problem sorted as being in pain isnt very nice
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Allison. I will mention it to my physio on Tuesday, see what she things. I'd say the omly problem now would be if my metal work interferes with the clarity of the scan itself.
  • Posted

Hi darren yep make sure first all i no is that they can see so much more of what is going on in your foot with an MRI than an X-Ray good luck
  • Posted

Thanks for that Allison.
  • Posted

you are welcome i am on the road to recovery and back to work on my feet all day but i can sympathise with you i was in pain after my op on my ankle was non weight bearing cast boot physio you name it not nice good luck with your recovery
  • Posted

Wow Darren....You've been thru hxll....(not sure if I can say it here, so playing it safe). But you poor thing. I'm still at the start of my first 6-wks of a no-weight bearing cast, but I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you. Hope you get some good advice....

Teri

• Posted

Thank you very much Teri. Best of luck to you with your own recovery, its very has going not being able to weight bare.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what have you had done?

• Posted

Thank you Allison, best of luck to yourself. Steady way on your feet from now on wink
  • Posted

Good morning Darren...

Off to another day of challenges, aren't we? lol

I haven't had anything done yet, just a week in a splint and another in a cast. Doctor said it was a clean break, so nothing else was needed. But I guess that's what makes me so nervous: there's nothing to hold the bone in place so every time I tweak it, I think it's going to break again. He did say that it won't be until April that I'm walking without any aids at all, which I can live with if I can get out occasionally. Not saying I like it, but whatever.........

Do you by chance ever go thru several hours of just a dull ache that nothing seems to get rid of? I tell myself to see it as a sign it's healing but I do wonder what's really going on.

Teri

• Posted

Hi darren i always look where i am walking now. everday is another day towards non weight bareing i felt it would never end hated every moment of it my daughters used to take me out in a wheel chair not very street cred at my age but if i stayed in i would have gone stir crazy good luck
  • Posted

Ho there sorry to hear about your issues. There is a spot at the bottom of your fib (at the 11 o'clock position on front of joint) if you press it, it is a soft spot. If you get shooting pains up your shin when pressing you didn't heal right:,( I broke my ankle 3 years ago and am on my third surgery. My 3 long screws holding the tib and fib keep sliding out of place causing pain in my syndesmosis ( look it up) I am 9 weeks post op 3rd surgery and I think 1 screws is loose. Good luck, your ankle will never be the same

• Posted

Hi, how are you recovering? I just fractured my lateral malleus and after 4 weeks doctor reckon it’s a non union. Asked to wait few more weeks .
  • Posted

darren how did it turn out. i have the very same situation now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.