Orif Full weight bearing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I am on 50 percent weight bearing Now.once this month completes my Dr said can start walking without crutches .i had ORIF in june.

Anybody Advice on the full weight bearing .how long does it take to walk as Normal .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I had ORIF surgery to repair a tri-moeller fracture with dislocation on June 11th so it seems like our timelines are similar. I got permission to full weight-bear mid-August and my doctor did say it would likely take until the end of August and it did. I was finally able to shift to one crutch (75%) about two weeks after the appointment and then no crutches starting the last weekend of August (11 weeks post surgery). I’m now 12 weeks out and in my boot walking (almost) normally. My advice is to take it at your body’s pace. Don’t force it, or you’ll do damage to those tendons that are still healing. 

Be kind to yourself and if you have the option do your PT. PT has been a lifesaver for me! 

• Posted

Oh ok.

Thank u so much for your advice.

As per ur reply u started walking in 2.5 months sounds great.for me dr said after this month i mean total after 3months can able to walk without crutches.so i am fully confident now to walk without crutches as my time line slightly delayed for full weight bearing.but

Now if i walk i have stiffness in the leg.

When this stiffness will go

• Posted

Hiya

Can you explain what the surgery was you had as l don't reconise ORIF? I may be able to advise you as l have had both ankle and foot surgery and been non weight bearing for 10 weeks and am now fully weight bearing. I will soon be getting surgery on my other ankle and be in a moonboot for the same amount of time. It can be hard....well it was for me as l had other surgeries previously and made it harder for me to be non weight bearing. If l can offer any help let me know.

Laura

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply

Yes ORIF done on right ankle as ankle dislocated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.