ORIF Surgery and seeing the consultant 3 weeks post-op

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there, i've stumbled on this forum and wondered if anyone could give me any advice.

On the 19th Dec I fell over breaking my ankle, a Tri-malleolar ankle fracture and had surgery the next morning where they fitted a metal plate and a single partially threaded screw. I was discharged from hospital the next day, told to put my foot up for 2 weeks and would go back to the clinic in 2 weeks for a check on the wound and a possible boot.

i didn't hear anything over the next couple of weeks from the hospital with a date to return and when i chased the hospital, they could only give me a date to see the consultant in a weeks time which means my wound has not been looked at since my surgery nearly 3 1/2 weeks ago. I raised my concerns about this and also the stitches being removed, the hospital couldn't tell me what stitches were used and i'm praying they are dissolvable. They told me if i was concerned to see my GP but when i went to my local GP, they refused to take the cast off and look at the wound.

Can anyone reassure me that this is normal and 3 weeks after surgery is no big deal and that im worrying for nothing? Also, are dissolvant stitches used in this type of surgery? I haven't had surgery before and so find all of this really scary and don't know what to expect. 3 1/2 weeks seems like a long time to inspect a wound/surgery but obviously i realise it was over the Xmas and new year break and it hasn't helped with covid.

Any comments on this would be most appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.