ORIF surgery January 2018 now have complications

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar.....??

I had orif surgery on my ankle in jan 2018.

I now have pain and some little lumps forming on my heel so was x rayed on instruction from my GP. THE GP called after a week and said the results were that i had some bone death, cysts and oesteo arthritis. They have refered me back to the hospital to see the team that dealt with me originally.

Am now wondering all kinds of things ? will i need more surgery? will they just leave it?

If anyone had had something similar would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi kate

i had orif in march 2019 six months ago and have persistent pain in my ankle on weight bearing, reduced range of movement and still use a crutch for outdoors, having weekly ankle physio to strengthen the ankle.

I saw my orthopaedic consultant yesterday, had another CT scan of ankle done, and he plans to do an arthroscopy surgery to deal with scar tissue and tidy up and to remove some of the metalwork in october this year. He will write to me to let me know what the CT scan showed, but he did say my fracture was so severe that i may need an ankle fusion in the future.

You will certainly know more when the hospital ortho team have reviewed you, but it sounds like more surgery may be needed for you too.

Good luck x

• Posted

thankyou for your reply. im sorry to hear of your ongoing oroblems too.

i did all the physio too and i urge you to keep at it for your range of movement- dont let them discharge you! i was reading up on ankle fusion and it looks fairly disabling so i hope it doesnt come to that for both of us! is it ur left or right foot?

hopefully a clean up and removal of some of the metal -work will help you with the pain. i hope that they plan to do something similar with me but mot sure how they deal with dead bone!! on reading up it may be bone graft, more metal or ankle replacement. urghh- not much to look forward to!!

its nice to talk to someone who understands to be honest- please let me know what your CT scan says and how you go on.

good luck to you too! xx

• Posted

My surgery was April 18’ so I’m far out too from surgery date. Do you still have hardware? I do, and I have pain and think I’m going back to surgeon, I feel like there’s still a rock in my ankle. It does hurt, I’m curious why. I can live with it, but it’s nothing like before break/surgery - annoying.

• Posted

aww kate sorry to hear this. the ankle is such a complex blooming thing. i am a newbie to all this. trimalleolar fracture and dislocation had orif 9th july and still in a boot till 8th october. Issues with a sloughy wound and man the swelling is crazy. started physio last week and ROM well i think i need WD40!! its a long process. I am hopeful that all will be okay but i do worry about losing ROM and never gaining full movement. I hope all goes well for you x I wouldnt wish this injury on my worst enemy!!

Michelle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.