ORIF - Tibia & fibula / ankle break pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys ,

I broke my left leg in November 8th , so I am 3 post op

The tibia on inside of leg

The fibula on the outside of leg

The ankle bone near my achilles heel

I had ORIF on the Tibia , was in a back slab cast for 2 1/2 weeks , then nwb up until the 6 weeks mark .

I have now been walking for approx 4 weeks , ankle mobility is good - the Tibia area has healed really well , as has the fibula & ankle .

My issue is side opposite to the tibia ( still same leg ) is really hurting . Sometimes to the point i cant walk ?? Has anyone had this ?

And why is it hurting because that side never got broken .

Please tell me this is normal - maybe its a case of overdoing things

Many thanks

Sharon

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi, it sounds like we have almost the same injury 😃 I broke my tibia and fibula, as well as my ankle (and the surgeon said a couple of tendons were broken too) in mid-October last year. I had ORIF surgery. I was also non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, 3 in a cast and 3 in an Aircast walking boot, and from week 6 I gradually put weight on the leg, and was walking without the Aircast boot or crutches, but with a limp, in mid-December (or rather, in the third week of December). When I first put the foot down it hurt very, very bad. The pain was severe when I took my first steps in the Aircast, and it was quite bad throughout the whole "weaning off" process. I now walk without a limp, can jump and even run a bit. The bones are healing well, according to the X-ray at the last check-up, but they're still not fully healed, particularly the tibia.

I still have pain, especially when I exercise a lot, and the point on the tibia where I feel the pain is not where the break seems to be on the X-ray. The places where the screws are holding the rod in place below the knee also hurt quite badly when I walk for too long. The knee also hurts sometimes. But the doctor said to exercise as much as possible as this is what helps the bone to heal, so I press on, hoping that the pain will subside. I use the Deep Heat cream, and I also take paracetamol when the pain gets a bit too much. It's a slow healing process unfortunately! It sounds like you are healing really well, apart from that pain, which I think at this stage is quite normal. Good luck and speedy recovery!

• Posted

Ahhh ... at least i know im not going mad .

The injuries do sound very similar, go big or go home !

Thanks for your reply , their mantra has been , you are overdoing it .

its good to hear you are exercising , me too .

Though ive taken it easy the last couple of weeks on the leg front , just upper body .

ive got a physio chat Thursday , so we will see then

Glad you are healing well & continue to . This time next year , hopefully will be a distant memory for both of is

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.