Origins of binge drinking?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone know if binge drinking can be "caused" by the way you first start drinking or is it inherently in your make up.  I have always binged and dont seem to have that "switch" that tells people they are getting near the point of no return.  I am always past that before I realise and then cant remember the end of the evening good or bad!  This site is amazing and has some wonderful people who are so helpful - Thank you all

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've got an uncle who's pretty much the same as me, he's been to see the doctor a few times and he says his drinking is at a level that he should be really worried about. I would imagine he puts away more units than me a week as well. 

I do think certain people are born with an adictive gene in their make up, my sister has had her problems over the years and behind the mask that I give out to people I'm clearly alcohol dependant. 

Thankfully I've got a great little family unit and I'm certain I can cut this down, I know I need to not only do it for myself but my kids as well.

I'm going to stick around to see how people are coping and dealing with our addictions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.