Orlistat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my gp has started me orlistat as I have a bmi of 38. Started taking the tablets on Friday 26th July, I am taking the tablets 3 times a day the first night I had a very high fat meal including a portion of chips to see what happened and nothing, not a thing happened, no diarrhoea if anything my bowels arent opening at all???? Any ideas as they don't seem to be working for me.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Not sure how you have got on since your post but I have noticed that you don't experience the side effects of Orlistat straight away (if you go over your fat limit), it depends on your digestive system but I had a little too much fat one day but didn't notice the side effects until a few days later (and I haven't cheated since!). How are you getting on with your weight loss?

• Posted

Hi Michelle, l am new to here but noticed your on Orlistat and wondered if you would share your story with me please?

I started it today as l did a 7yr period of steroids and have put on 3 stone and can't exercise and don't eat much but have to find a way to lose the weight for my health and self esteem, l have taken 2 tabs so far and nothing has happened is there a run up period for this tablet do you know please?

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

It does seem to take a few days to get into your system but you shouldn't feel any different or see any side effects unless your eating too much fat (over 15g fat per meal). I didn't think it was working at first until I noticed that my tummy seemed to be going down. I seem to be loosing about 3 pounds a week approx. which isn't a huge amount but that's still nearly a stone in a month! I haven't started exercising yet as haven't had time but I have heard of people loosing a lot more weight in a short space of time combining exercise with the tabs (but don't worry as you will still loose weight without exercising). Im struggling to keep my suger cravings under control at the moment but I find that if Im craving chocolate or something sweet I eat 1 or two sweets (like wine gums) and im still within my fat limits and my craving goes.

Keep me updated as to your progress smile we can motivate each other! smile

• Posted

Michelle

Would love to keep in touch as l have never had a weight issue till now and as its steroid caused not sure how much the pills will help?

l don't know what my fat intake is or anything else for that matter, have no idea about how to work out fat content or anything else so am going into this blind so to speak.

is there a way to private message you or pass on email to you do you know?

• Posted

Hey Sharon,

I have just sent you a message with my email address.

Basically every meal you have needs to be under 15g of fat (If you go over this limit or eat fatty snacks in-between meals then you will see the horrible side effects).

As well as looking at fat content for food its good to try and keep calories as low as possible too as its possible for some foods to be really low in fat but high in calories for example bread- bread is really low in fat but high in calories.

Send me an email and we can chat more smile

• Posted

Hi Sharon and Michelle

I still seem to be constipated and no running to the loo at all. I went and got weighted by the nurse at my surgery and haven't lost anything at all. My gp has said that if I don't have a weight loss next month he is going to take me off them?? I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

• Posted

Hi,

I hope you don't me replying, but I have just read your post and feel for you. I have been taking them for about 3 weeks and do feel slimmer ( not much but my tummy certainly has gone down) and if it helps, stop getting weighed, You will lose weight at different levels all the time so even though you haven't seen a difference yet, please don't lose heart, it will happen. I refuse to get on the scales now until Sept 12th when I go back to the Dr, as I got weighed at Tesco today, couldn't resist getting on and I am gutted that I have only lost a little bit, but I will not get down and carry on, its addictive getting on the scales and can effect how you feel so much, so good luck with it, keep going and keep reading on here, I find it really helps to motivate, keep in touch xx

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I too get constipated, mentioned it to my doc at my last weigh in a few days ago and she wasn't helpful, she just said that no one has ever reported that side effect at all and its normally the opposite! Have you considered a mild laxative? There are mild ones that are supposed to regulate you again without interfering with your life. I did something silly to try and get rid of mine (and I wouldn't advise it) I ate way to much fat to get side affects from the tabs (to make me go) and it was awful!!!!! Oil in the toilet constantly! Did sort me out for a while bit now im constipated again so im considering taking a laxative. Are you drinking enough hun? I went for a few days without loosing weight so upped my water intake and started to loose again x

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I did what you did and ate a full English fish dinner and it had no effect on me at all, didn't have no urge to go the loo. I have taken 2 senna tablets the odd night in the month of taking the orlistat. I have gone to bed then I have been the loo in the morning and then nothing, no bowel movements I just don't know what more to do, I have been drinking plenty of water about 1 litre and a half a day, feel like am drowning lol. How much have you lost Michelle and in how long??? I have been eating plenty of fibre, what do u eat in a typical day?? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.