Orlistat and contraceptive implant ...?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I can't find any info. on this, please had anyone had advice from their Doctor or read anything on line?

Does Orlistat have any impact on the effectiveness of the Nexplanon (used to be called Implanon) contraceptive implant? I understand how it affects the oral pill but cannot find any studies or info. Re use with the implant. Any insight or references would be great. Thank you smile x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I have the implant and orlistat... No side effects what so ever...I have had the implant in for 5 months now and been taking orlistat for 2/3 weeks... The doctors just said that it would not effect the implant and it hasn't... Not much info but hope it helps a little
    • Posted

Hi Laura,

Oh thank you, yes that's very helpful! Glad that you haven't had any problems with it. I was hoping that a) I won't get pregnant, and that b) I will still lose weight !!  smile  Sounds as if you haven't had any problems with either which is great to hear x

• Posted

Yes I was the same- didn't want to get pregnant as baby has just turned 7months!... That would be a shock!.. With orlistat I have lost 11 pounds nearly been on it for 3weeks next week... But with the implant unfortunately I haven't stopped bleeding! So some days my weight doesn't change depending how heavy it is! But they say it can take up to 6 months for the hormones to settle...so I am just hoping that it stops soon!
    • Posted

Laura, you poor thing! Hope that it settles down sooner rather than later. You must be tired, hope that you're fully recovered soon. But well done on your weight loss, that's brilliant and you must have worked hard for it - Good on you. x
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on the implanon for around 12 years and the doctor did not advise me of any side effects with taking orlistat.

I took orlistat for about 3 months with no real loss (or gain) overall, not sure if this was to do with the implanon or that my diet was not terribly bad prior to starting it. I took it to try lose weight after gaining a stone while ill and unable to go to the gym etc.

Just wanted to let you know incase implanon does slow results of the orlistat, don't want you feeling disheartened by it

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Kerry,

Thank you x I'm also struggling to make it to the gym (bad back) and my diet was also not very high fat so will be interesting to see what happens when I get my 1st weigh in at the start of April as you say that you haven't lost any lbs. Sorry that it didn't work for you - have you lost the stone now? Thanks very much for your comment x

• Posted

My diet is extremely low in fat but I'm terrible for sugars such as cake/biscuits and high cal dressings /sauces so it didn't really target the right areas for me.

I have lost a few pound but dropped a dress size, I do a lot of weights etc at the gym and my doctor didn't take that into account that I was getting trimmer/leaner it's all about the weight number so just a heads up for the active people.

It's definately a good product for helping people address their food choices and then improve lifestyle choices smile

• Posted

might be a bit late but if i were u i wud get implant removed i was ok for 2 weeks then ended up unrecognisable to my family all i did was moan and shout for nothing then i got orlistat and was advised from doctor to get implant removed while on them so having it removed tomorrow but since being on implant i have been evil and angry lost my partner a few times too so its gone  never get it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.