Orlistat and side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking orlistat for 2 weeks and in the 2nd week I've got flu like symptoms and had two sore throats and it's agony .

So I'm thinking of staying off pills until I have seen my doctor next week as I don't want it any worse than I already have.?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The flu like symptoms are likely to be ...a flu ha ha. It is that time of year, and lots of people have stuff going round right now which is normal. 

I would highly doubt it was to do with the pill, unless you thought it was an allergic reaction (but that would have likely happened in the first week). 

Obviously the choice to take them is yours, but I think this would be a seperate issue to the Orlistat. 

smile

• Posted

I have to admit I agree with Cryingdietgirl that its more than likely not connected to the orlistat but is down to a cold/flu. I too have a sore throat, runny nose etc - they do the rounds at this time of year.
  • Posted

Hi susan87987, I would stop the orlistat as , when I went to first see about getting orlistat I had a chest infection so my doctor would not give me the oralist until I was better, 

i have been on orlistat a week yesterday and I was luck that I had a appointment with my respiratory doctor and I got weighed , I had lost 11lbs I was over the moon , so I hope it continues although my constant said the same as my gp not to get my hopes up due to all the medication that I am on but I am sticking with it, I have only had one sore tummy since starting to take oralist , I know that it is only my first week so I will see how, I get on this week , 

would it not even be possible to phone and seek to your doctor about taking the oralist while you are unwell, I don hope you are felling better soon, take care 

,loraine x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.