Orlistat and thyroxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have just started to take orlistat and l am also on thyroxine. My GP did not mention that there was any contraindications between the two meds, but reading about orlistat on the internet everything is saying that you need to leave 4 hours between the two meds. My question is how do others manage this. I take my thyroxine in the morning and l am used to leaving an hour before l have breakfast, but to leave 4 hours before eating breakfast is way too long. So how do people take their breakfast orlistat or do you just take orlistat with lunch and evening meal.

Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was prescibed this a few days ago. The doctor told me that the xenical may reduce the effectiveness of the thyroxine, so they will do regular blood tests to check.I haven't changed when I take the thyroxine at all, so will be interesting to see if the dose needs to be changed at all

• Posted

Hi. I too take Thyroxine and Orlistat.

I tend to take the Thyroxine as soon as I wake up.

My breakfast only consists of a black coffee, a yoghurt and a banana so I tend to miss the morning orlistat as my fat content is no where near the 30% mark. Hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Hi. I also take thyroxine and commenced taking orlistate. My doc recommended that I take my thyroxine at least an hour before any orlistate. However..i find it's easier to take my thyroxine before bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.