Orlistat combined with medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Evening folks smile

Just wondered if anyone here was taking medication as well as orlistat. I take thyroxin in the morning and try to wait an hour and a half before eating incase the orlistat flushes it away before it starts working. I also take the minipill and have been taking it at midday  (can't be taken at the same time as thyroxin) and I also wait an hour and a half before having luch and the blue bullet in case the same thing happens and stops it from working. My doctor isn't sure if the orlistat will reduce the effectiveness of my medication but decided to see how it turns out (using other contraception as well, in case). Just wondered if others have had any difficulties....

On the bright side..the combination of only eating at three mealtimes and having to wait till set times before eating is working a treat for dieting smile smile 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi lily, 

I am also on the pill, my doctor suggested if I have the dreaded side effects from the orlistat then I should use other contraception, just the same as when you have a tummy upset. I have been taking the orlistat a week tomorrow, g feel great, no bloating, snacking between meals and sticking to a low fat diet. I haven't had any bad side effects yet but I have only lost two pounds so I'm a little disheartened. Xx

• Posted

Hi Cathryn, 

A two pound loss for the first week is great! It's only one week.. Keep going and more will follow X

• Posted

Hi Lilly,

My doctor prescribed me orlistat at the same time as me being diagnosed with under active thyroid. My weight had gone up by 3.5 stone. The first month I had no weight loss. It seemed to take this long and then all of a sudden kicked in. Two months later now I have lost a stone. I always leave 2 hrs before I take any medication after taking my thyroxine just I case it gets effected. I was also iron deficient so have been taking iron tablets for the past 10 months. I always ensured that I didn't take these at the same time as a blue bullet. I am hoping that with my thyroid level now in normal range that the orlistat will move the weight. 

• Posted

Hi Joy, Thank you for replying. I really admire you sticking to the diet and blue bullets when you had no weight loss after the first weigh in. I will try and prepare myself for that possible eventuality in a couple of weeks! Congratulations on the stone weight loss smile Do you take the thyroxin first thing in the morning and iron in the evening?
    • Posted

Hi lLily, 

I always take the thyroxine at 7.00am each morning .  Leave a 2hr total free gap and then a would take my first iron tablet of the day. I found it really hard as I was having to take iron 3 x per day but away from certain foods .i.e bread  and away from coffee as it's absorption would be effected. I didn't like to take the iron tablet at same time as blue bullet as I worried about absorption again. I just muddled my way through day as best as I could. It's not easy but for me it must of worked as now my iron stores level has significantly improved that I have from this

week only got to take 1 per day which is so much easier. I don't eat breakfast which I know isn't the right thing but I never have. I prefer a healthy snack in evening.

I hope this in some way helps you. I often wonder if my thyroid problem will slow down weight loss compared to others but it's all new to me so I'm not sure. 

• Posted

Hi Joy 

From my understanding, as long as your TSH levels stay between 1 and 2 then you won't put on weight from your thyroid. I now ring and check my TSH level after each blood test to make sure the level is correct. 

I guess that must have been why you didn't lose weight at first. Your TSH must be have still been really high. Once it dropped then your body was able to lose weight. You must be feeling so much better now! 

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.