Orlistat - Day One

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have 2 1/2 stone to lose (too long ago to still call it post baby weight!) but am determined to do it. I received my prescription yesterday, so this is day one. I have quite a low fat diet (which the exception of the odd takeaway!) so am going to be keen to see how I get on and if there are any of the dreaded side affects. I just wondered how other people are getting on, what kind of weight loss they get per week and also if its okay to carry on drinking. I'm not a massive drinker, but I do like the odd glass of wine in the evening (I know its empty calories, but its my one treat!)

Thanks people

S

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stumpy, I also started on orlistat on the 1st of the month and have 2 1/2 stone to lose. I haven't lost any weight so far but it's not even been a week yet. I did orlistat a few years ago and lost 2 stone and as I remember, it didn't come off me as quickly as it did for others. I also have underactive thyroid which makes it even harder to lose weight. How has your first week went so far? X

• Posted

Hi Rockey, I know its only been 4 full days but I took a chance and weighed myself this morning and I have gained a Ib, but I'm not going to think & worry about it just yet (although it is a bit disheartening).

I also have an underactive thryoid and am on levothyroxine so I wonder if this has something to do with it - you mentioned that it took you longer to lose the weight initially.

Good luck, let me know how you're getting on xx

• Posted

Hi, yes it definitely slows down the weight lose when you have underactive thyroid, but don't be disheartened, it will come off. I remember when I was on these pills last time at some of my weigh ins, I didn't lose a lb and I felt like giving up. I'm really determined this time as the only reason I stopped taking them before was because there was a problem with the manufacturer of the pills. Have you managed to keep to low fat meals this week? X

• Posted

i started orlistat on the 7th of this month. I have a healthy vegetarian diet but still find it hard to lose weight and keep it off. I need to lose 2 1/2 stone. do you guys have any tips?
  • Posted

Hi Enamay, you should do ok on the pills if you have a healthy vegetarian diet, try upping your exercise too. We are all on Orlistat for the same reason and will be good if we can be here to support each other.x

• Posted

Hi Enamay, good luck, hope you're getting on ok.

I had to take a break as I had a stomach bug (not connected as family also had it), but back on them as of yesterday, am also using myfitnesspal on my phone to help keep track of my calorie intake (love the fact that you can just scan barcode!) so will let you know how it goes.

good luck for this week everyone xx

• Posted

Hi Stumpy and Enamay, I started on Orlistat about six weeks ago, and my loss is only small so far, two pounds this week, so don't be disheartened if it doesn't happen straight away, as I was. I do think the key to avoiding the side effects is to have a low fat diet and certainly for me is to up the exercise. Good luck and let's see how we all get on together!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.