Orlistat - first day jitters?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking orlistat today and so have feel a little uncomfortable in myself, is it normal to be so aware of feeling different as a result of taking them? Should I be able to tell? 

Also I've seen a lot of posts about the 5g of fat per 100g thing, my doctor didn't make me aware of that, does that me 5g per meal or per element of a meal? If the latter, how many grams per meal should I be consuming? 

Any help would be amazing. 

Thanks x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm only on day 3 but I too felt a little strange - maybe in anticipation of what might happen?  So far so good with no side effects and I really thought there might be as I didn't prepare with a low fat diet for the few days before starting them.  I believe it's no food item with more than 5g fat per 100g, limit yourself to 15g per meal and no more than 45g in a day.  Try to snack on fat free items such as fruit, muller lights etc.  If you do a bit of research there are so many things you can eat without even realising and for some reason I didn't even consume 45g fat on the first 2 days!  Good Luck!!! X
  • Posted

Hi I still haven't started mine as I'm aiming to be good a few days before so have started slimming world then ease them in i suffer with ibs so my Dr said to start tjem gradually so one a day also I heard if your having a fat free lunch or breakfast there's no need to take a tablet? I'm generally having shreddies for breakfast and a fat free lunch ie jacket potato and tuna no butter so would i need to take one? Like you I didn't get much in for from drs so any help appreciated 

Thanks

• Posted

If you're not eating any fat in the meal or skipping a meal then there's no need to take them, but even if there is a little fat present, still take one.  You won't get the side effects if it's under 5g fat per 100g and it becomes second nature to check all packaging!  Just google generic food items if you're unsure.  You'll be surprised at how low some things are!

Wendy X  :-)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply that's a great help 👍will start them the next couple of days thanks again x
  • Posted

Thank you all. I'll report back on anything new! I'm excited! Xx
  • Posted

You only think that the tablets are making you jittery it just nerves nothing is going to happen unless you consume a ton of fat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.