Orlistat - Just started

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I have been reeding the various discussions from you all and they are prooving very helpful.

I started on Orlistat yesterday. Went to the GP about having the Gastric Band but he wants to try me on this first. I'm forever hopeful but previous diets have failed me eventually - lose a bit then lose heart because it levels off.

Have stones to loose so if anybody can give me some good tips on what not to eat that would be most welcome.

Off for a pizza tonight - anything I should know?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Unless the pizza has less then 15g of fat in it do not take the tablet other wise u may not make it out of the facilities for the next few hours!

• Posted

Hi hope to be slimmer,

Although if you go for a pizza you'll be forever hopeful!!!

My advice would be to go and NOT take a tablet - but don;t eat pizza too oftens as very high in fat and you'll be on the loo for ever :lol:

Jane

• Posted

Yeah......don`t!!!

The tablets will help u but unless u follow a low fat diet .....they won`t do u any good except make u go to the toilet.

• Posted

Did you have pizza then or not? I'd love some pizza not had any since I started on the tabs.

xx

• Posted

Day2/3

No Pizza - the students ate them all over the lunchtime all you can eat buffet....................they had none left for the evening!

Went to Brewers Fayre instead - three courses - didn't take bluey as advised.

Day2/3

No exceptional reaction so far - Noticed the Orange Oil yesterday but not today.

Avoided having Salmon sandwiches today based on someone else's experience.

If you are all following the low fat diet and losing weight - what is the point of the blueys? GP just told me that I would learn by my own mistakes on what I could and could not tolerate on these. He didn't emphasise a low fat diet.... How would this be any more advantageous than say the slimming world or Weightwatchers diets eating everything in moderation?

I'm confused and wary of trying Eggs,Cheese & Fish now!

• Posted

\"If you are all following the low fat diet and losing weight - what is the point of the blueys? GP just told me that I would learn by my own mistakes on what I could and could not tolerate on these. He didn't emphasise a low fat diet.... How would this be any more advantageous than say the slimming world or Weightwatchers diets eating everything in moderation? \"

What the tablets do is prevent ur body from absorbing a third of the fat from the food u eat. So, ur body is encouraged to burn up the fat it already has stored.

The low fat diet encourages that. So does weighwatchers etc....but the tablets give u a helping hand. Quite possibly act as a deterent also, from eathing the stuff we shouldn`t... :lol: Hence if we eat foods higher in fat....GARDY LOO.... :lol: (obviously, people will be affected by different foods in different ways)

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi

The point is they are a help in that they absorb 30% fat of what you eat and reeducate you to eat low fat or you will suffer probs with tummy and toilet! They act as a super deterrent for me and remind me to think before stuffing food in, help you make better food choices. they are a kick start. If you don't eat low fat and exercise you will just be ill and not lose as much weight as you can. Weightwatchers and Rosemary Conley recipes are good and fit in with the low fat thing.

Good luck

KJ

• Posted

I've checked the information we have on Patient UK and our Orlistat drug leaflet said 'low calorie diet' but our PILS leaflet on orlistat and weight loss referred to low fat.

So to be a bit clearer we're changing the drug leaflet to say \"a low fat, reduced calorie diet'.

Patient Admin Team

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.