Orlistat, Levothyroxine, PCOS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, sorry I am a newbie so please help me out smile

I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) in late 2008 and my weight had gone up to 117kg. After taking medication and getting my PCOS in check my weight went down to 80kg. Over the past year I have felt very tired and have gained 20kg in 8 months !!! :cry: Now ive been diagnosed with hypothyroid and its quite severe so I have been given medication for that and also Orlistat.

Im just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me?? I am a trauma nurse but unfortunately I have not dealt with this medication before. I am unsure how the Orlistat will work as I was already eating a very good diet so how does it work on the fat already in the body??

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Orlistat works by blocking a 1/3 of the fat you consume from being absorbed by the body, the 1/3 of the fat consumed works its way out of your body through your faeces but accidents occur when too much fat is consumed and it exits in a more 'urgent' fashion.

Have no more than 30g fat a day with no more than 15g in any one meal.

I too have PCOS and my weight had crept up despite having a healthy diet and regular exercise but its moving downwards now with Orlistat

Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Babystace

Welcome to the forum. I don't have PCOS but have an underactive thyroid gland and high cholestral. I thought I was eating fairly healthily but have made loads of changes to my diet since being prescribed Orlistat since mid April last year and have lost 4 1/2 stone.

Read as many past forums as you can to get lots of tips and advice. It helps to log on here as you realise you are not battling alone. It's been fairly quiet on here lately but somebody will usually answer your query and give you support if you post.

good luck and keep us posted on your progress :D

• Posted

:D Thank you so much for the advice girls.

I just started them on Saturday and il be honest, I wasnt expecting them to work as I already eat very low fat anyways but I thought after 4 days of them in my system I would weigh myself and that would be my starting weight. I was 100.5kg on Friday in the doctors and I weighed in at 98.8kg today :shock:

I have had none of the nasty accidents that others report however I have noticed orange oil in the toilet. Guess im eating more fat than I thought.

Good to know we are all here for support.

• Posted

hiya, welcome to the group!

I also have pcos and can relate with the weight gain!!! Good start all ready smile

See you around :D

Sian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.