Orlistat newbie

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've recently been prescribed orlistat 120mg to help me lose at least 30lb. I'm 47yr old and for the last 18months have found that I've put so much weight on and can't shift it no matter how I try.

I am on day six so far and up until yesterday I've not noticed any of the side effects. I'm wondering ifanyone else has found that even though you've stuck to a well balanced diet all week that you have a day when this happens. I'm not usually regular in going so wonder if it was all a build up of before I'd started the tablets and watching my fat intake.

Any help would be great. Worried that it will happen at work.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellaemily

I can relate to you. I'm 49 years old and the heaviest I've ever been. I recently completed a 12 week course as part of the tier 3 weight management programme for gastric surgery but this didn't teach me anything different. Hence the orlistat prescription. I have a lot of pressure on me to loose the weight as just graduated and starting my job in October. This is a holiday of a lifetime, so will knuckle down when I get back in two weeks. Keep me updated on how you're doing and I'll be in touch when I return. It will be good to hear the highs and lows!

• Posted

Hi Kim

Thanks for your reply .have a good holiday and we can hopefully keep in touch on our orlistat journey

• Posted

Hi, I'm also new to orlistat. I start it in Friday. This is my 4th day, id as advised by the doctor, I have cut out carbs and fats from my diet. I'm really enjoying it and I'm not missing anything.

I experienced side effects from day two. I've had awful yellow diarrhea (sorry I know its gross) I thought it was all the fat in my body breaking up and discarding. But I'm not too sure.

• Posted

Hi ... I tried these tablets but had no luck, last Febuary I weighed 22stone, today I am 13stone, I was under the hospitals weight management I had to attend a six month course. I was due to get the bypass but found I could do it myself. I started Zumba at home and brought a vibration plate. I also stuck to the calorie intake I was given at 1500 a day. So far I'm maintaining my weight. I'm 41 now. 

• Posted

I didn't have any side effects either when I started. I did have a meal out which contained quite a lot of fat on day 5 and the next day, I had orange fatty poop. No leakage though. 

I know people say that it can have an effect if you've had fatty food before starting but I'm not entirely sure about that. Immediately before I started it, I was doing low carb high fat diet. Cream, cheese, meat fat, the works. Had absolutely no side effects until that meal out, when I took a tablet. 

Like you, I'm not regular in going to the loo. 

My advice, if you think you need to go to the loo, go.....don't risk passing wind just in case!

Good luck, let us know how it goes 

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've only had the one bad day. I'm sticking to low fat diet and enjoying it. I'm currently day 11 and I've lost 5 or 6 lb. Lost two inches from each measurement I. E. Bust waist hips thigh.

Feeling happy to carry on. Good luck on your journey keep in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.